2011 macbook pro 15" 2.2ghz 6750 underperforming on games

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bm303, Sep 11, 2011.

1. bm303, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

bm303 macrumors newbie

I have the 2011 MBP with the settings I listed above. It also has a 128gb SSD and a matte high res screen. The laptop is great but has a few major problems that are really bothering me.

First off, if I run a very large program or a game within minutes the laptop is very hot.

Not to mention the fans hit up to 6000 RPM fast and are really, really loud. Sounds like an aircraft is taking off. Significantly louder than any other laptop I have heard.

With that being said, after a few minutes of playing my game will start to slow down significantly and stutter lag. I can only play on really low settings even with the 6750 and 2.2ghz MBP. Had I known this prior I would have clearly bought the lower end 15" considering my fathers 2010 MBP performs as well if not better than mine for gaming. There was no need to get the 6750 if I am playing low graphic intensive games on only low settings and still getting a stutter lag. This happens on both SC2 and League of Legends. Certain characters and particles in League of Legends also make my fps drop significantly. I think the card is simply underclocked and performing like 1/2 the card it should.

Any ideas?

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

If it were me, I'd clean/re-apply the thermal paste. I have the same laptop - my temps are normal and I play games at high settings.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Your machine throttles and it hits 6000rpm at normal game workload (which really isn't the worst. Yes I would say that is a problem worth bringing to Apple.
    Hitting 6000rpm to fast means there is no save margin for hot summer days and as soon as it throttles it means it is overheating becuase really shouldn't do that.
    Thermal paste could be the problem but you may also have two very hot chips. Some chips are hotter some cooler. If you got unlucky with both it is just better to get new ones. Too much Thermal paste might add to the problem but it is not the cause. Too little thermal paste and you couldn't start it up.

Tell Apple and demand something that can hold decent operating temperatures.

4. MacSince1990 macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

Yeah, this isn't normal. Thermal paste *might* be an issue, but it sounds like there's a larger issue going on here too; it helps, but thermal paste usually only drops temps an absolute max of 10F.

Could be a heatsink (or two) isn't properly seated/pressure isn't applied, could be a fan's misaligned.... something's wrong. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, take it to Apple.

Some chips absolutely DO run hotter than others... but not by this much, not unless they're overvolted. For the meantime, you might wanna try setting your Energy Settings to "Variable" if they're on "Highest"

I suppose you could also try getting a laptop cooler.

And FYI... the 6750 is a *very* capable GPU. I was running LoL on a 3650 with zero problems at max settings... the 6750 has around three times the shading power, and.. well, actually around three times overall performance than the 3650, so yeah... that's not right.

5. echosky81, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

echosky81 macrumors newbie

The heat on your 6750m machine will always be like that. My gaming temps can hit the high 80s and yes the fan kicks in at 6000 rpm. The cooling solution in the MBP is not sufficient enough to run the fans any lower in a gaming scenario when the GPU is at max load. I have not heard of anyone running a MBP in bootcamp where temps are not in the 80s and fans at max when gaming, that's just the norm. Now as far as performance goes I get great FPS in pretty much any game from ME2,CSS,Crysis 2, and Dirt 3.

6. bm303 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree that something has to be wrong here. I am running a 6750 which should run LoL on all Very High without any problems at all. I can only run on medium at the very best settings. LoL is a very non-demanding game and for my computer to max out the fans and get crap settings with a 6750 card can't be right. I don't know what apple will do if they can't directly identify a problem though. I don't want to send it in and find out a month later nothing it wrong and they can't help. I do have 3 years of applecare warranty.

The only other things I would like to mention is that I have a 128gb SSD and the matte high res screen. I doubt that makes a difference.

I will be calling Apple and expressing the loud fans, heating, and severe underperformance on games. For a $2500 laptop I really am disappointed that I can't even play games on remotely good settings. If I do make them higher I get major FPS problems and the fans take off like a plane.

----------

Echosky81,

Let's say the temperatures and fan speed is normal. It certainly is not normal that SC2 and LoL can only run at low-medium settings without completely degrading the graphics. So either way I think I am still having problems that I shouldn't. I didn't buy the 6750 to get worse gaming power than my dads 2010 MBP that cost half the money.

7. mbrown9412 macrumors newbie

Yeah, I have that exact same laptop (minus the hi-res matte, and ssd) and mine runs perfectly fine on amnesia: dark descent, portal, tf2, etc. Mine will get a little warm, but nothing compared to my old laptop. definitely sounds like an issue you should bring to the apple store.

8. echosky81 macrumors newbie

No the gaming performance should be higher than the 2010 330m GT. Most people play SC2 high/med with a MBP to my knowledge, LoL should max out. Check this link and compare your performance.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6750M.43958.0.html

9. bm303, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

bm303 thread starter macrumors newbie

Typically I can run SC2 on medium settings at best and within a little while it usually kicks up the fans and the heat and I then have to drop to low settings to even have a chance of not getting terrible stutter lag.

LoL is not listed there but I can only run medium settings at very best and that usually results in the same problem as SC2 soon after I start gaming. Stuttering lag and poor effects once the fans kick up and it gets really hot.

BTW, the only thing I can think of that could be a software issue is out of date drivers. But I have all of the boot camp updates. To my knowledge there are no driver updates you can get outside of the ones apple provides.

10. echosky81 macrumors newbie

Sounds like the GPU is throttling and performance is suffering. Some temperature readings would be helpful, at any rate you could always return it and get a new one with Apple Care.

11. bm303 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will get temp readings next time I play LoL.

If I call Apple and tell them about this do you think they will consider replacing my computer if they can't find a problem they can clearly fix?

12. echosky81 macrumors newbie

I have heard of people replacing their MBPs over high temperature readings and there machines overheating. The thermal paste mess that was documented by ifixit could be the culprit though I don't have personally experience on that because I replaced mine two days after I bought it. I'm sure though there are plenty of people gaming with MBPs though with the original thermal paste, once you get a temp. reading it'll narrow down your problem. A high temperature could mean the thermal paste is the issue.

13. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Under bootcamp you can monitor your clocks and see how it throttles.
    It sounds a lot like throttling and this shouldn't happen no matter the software or whatever. Really the only excuse is if you sit in a really hot room.

14. bm303 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

Contacted Apple and they are nearly positive its a faulty graphics card causing the poor graphic response. They will test it in the store this week when I bring it in and most likely replace it.

15. pingfan59 macrumors member

You have an issue. I have the early 2010 MBP 15' with the 6750 and I get great FPS and no lag on graphic intense games. It can get up to 85c and then the fans will kick on. The fans do not seem loud to me though.

I would get it checked out.

16. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

All that talk about replacing thermal paste is a bunch of baloney. Even iFixit has backed of it being an issue but it lives on in internet forums.
    Any quad core laptop gets hot.
    Your description is lacking in data such as framerates, how hot etc. There are ways to collect this information so people could give you more useful feedback. You will certainly need it before talking to Apple. Telling them your games are too slow and you fans kick in is not going to help much.

17. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I don't know if I would call it a bunch of baloney... before replacing mine, I would hit 97-98*C while encoding video, whereas doing the same operations after replacing the paste with MX-4 lowered the absolute max to around 90*C, and usually it's a few degrees cooler than that. You may still not deem it worthwhile, but it's not "baloney".

18. mark28 macrumors 68000

Yeah probably. The 330m can run SC 2 on high in multiplayers games with no problem on 1680 x 1050 in OS X. The ATi 6750 should do it with no problem also in OS X.

19. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

I have the same laptop as you and would say there is an issue.

The heat however is not an issue, my MBP runs very hot especially in windows, aluminium is a heat conductor after all it is to be expected. I have a speck see thru satin case that made a world of difference to the amount of heat i feel on my legs when gaming.

Your GFX card sounds like its having problems though, I can play SC2 1440x900 on HIGH settings without any lag, league of legends maxed out for the tiny amount of time i played it, and im playing Mass Effect 2 on native res with great settings and no slowdown at all. Apart from being hot when gaming this machine is a very capable gaming machine, i hope apple sort it out for you because there is no way a 6750m should be playing anything on low settings.

20. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It is not an issue but it does help if you do it properly. Every manufacturer uses more than necessary because it would just take to much time to assemble. You put enough on the chip and all you need to do is press down the heat sink and excess will squeeze out. It is a save method but it does not create the best results.
    If you have a situation were the Notebook gets to loud easily, like running an external screen with the dGPU it ramps up fans with only a little load, properly applying new good paste might get you a machine that stays at whisper quiet 2000rpm quite a bit longer.

It is not an issue as in it causes overheating.

21. bm303 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

Still having the issue. I believe there is a fix that I found over on apples forums in this thread here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2778179?start=15&tstart=0

Unfortunately, I am not able to enable powerplay in CCC which seems to have fixed this issue for a few other users in that thread. This is what happens when I try and enable power play:

http://i56.tinypic.com/m97xcp.png

Basically the option to apply the setting is greyed out and if I close CCC it doesn't save. I don't know why this is happening.

22. bm303 thread starter macrumors newbie

23. Freyqq macrumors 68040

24. bm303 thread starter macrumors newbie

25. Gurutech macrumors 6502

Why do you keep bumping the thread?
    Get repair.
    If you think it's software issue, let Apple know by posting it on the support forum.