2011 Macbook Pro 15" - Black screen of death?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pictionary, Apr 19, 2011.

1. pictionary macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

About a month ago I bought the brand new 15" macbook pro, fully equipped (fastest CPU, graphics & memory).

Since the day I got it I've experienced the famous problem when the screen slowly turns darker and shows the message "Please restart your computer.. etc etc" about 2 times. Both times it happened all random without the computer being warm or anything like that. Last night I was watching a flash video (a tutorial online) when the same message all of a sudden popped up. I followed the advice (what else to do..) and restarted the computer just to go straight back to the tutorial. The same thing happened again, so I completed the process again, only to face the same message.

After a total of 4 reboots I got pissed off and decided to run a hardware test (hold D at startup) which told me that nothing was wrong. I restarted the computer once again and everything was fine.. until today. When I got back from work I opened my macbook, used it for about 5 minutes and there it was again.. the same message. This time I got it 3 times in row..

Now to my question..

WHAT does that message really mean? Since I bought my first apple computer 8 years ago I've seen it a couple of times, but never this frequently. Is there anything to do about it? Should I ask to get it fixed or just ask them to swap it for a new one? I paid around 3500 bucks for this computer (yeah.. macbooks are expeensive in Sweden!) so I expect it to work..