2011 Macbook pro 15 graphics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by inderrs, Mar 7, 2011.

1. inderrs macrumors newbie

Any way to check which graphics card my mac is using for each program. for example if im using google chrome, am i using intel or amd? and what was the name of the program that let you change which card was being used.

Thanks

2. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

I just found this artice which talks about a program which may be of use to you. Hope this helps :

http://osxdaily.com/2010/05/08/manually-switch-graphics-cards-on-core-i5-and-i7-macbook-pros/

You can now keep track of which GPU is in use and then manually switch between the two graphics cards included within the MacBook Pro i5 and i7 series, all you need to do is download a utility called gfxCardStatus, which does this and more:

* Manually switch between the MacBook Pro GPU’s on demand through a menu bar application!
    * gfxCardStatus tells you which card is currently in use by adjusting the menubar icon; showing an ‘i’ icon for the Intel HD GPU, and an ‘n’ icon for the NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M.
    * Lists dependent processes to see which apps are currently using the 330m processor.

The app is currently only for the 2010 MacBook Pro’s with Core i5 or i7 processors and the GeForce GT 330m GPU. You can get gfxCardStatus here for free, it’s donationware so if you’re thrilled with the app throw the developer a couple bucks.

This functionality really should have been baked into a system update for these MacBook Pro’s. Since the 330m is power hungry, if you want to preserve battery life you’ll almost certainly be better off using the Intel HD Graphics card instead. Note that the application is “a little bit on the buggy side” according to Engadget, and we’d recommend approaching anything that modifies your hardware settings with some caution.

3. Derango macrumors regular

gfxCardStatus is it and it works with the new MBPs. Throws up an i for internal and a d for discrete.

And if you're using chrome, it forces it to discrete as soon as it sees any flash content (or the download bar on the bottom of the window shows up).

Firefox 3 works normally, firefox 4 forces descrete graphics from startup. Safari only goes discrete if you're doing full screen flash or playing silverlight content.