2011 Macbook Pro 15", no power, battery indicator flashes 5x?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cameronjpu, Dec 22, 2017.

1. cameronjpu macrumors 65816

Any idea what that symptom means? The last time the computer was used, months ago, it worked fine. Now I plug it in and get no sign of life. Only indication of life is the battery indicator, which when pressed, blinks 5 times quickly. Power cable is a solid green light continually. Any suggestions? I've tried removing the battery but the same thing happens. Thanks!

2. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Disconnect the battery, connect the charger, don't touch the machine and see if the machine powers up and can be used normally.

3. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

OK, I've pulled the battery and connected the charger. Computer has been sitting there for 5 minutes, no sign of life. I then pressed the battery indicator button on the left side and got the same 5 blinking lights. I then pulled out the RAM and tried again, plugged in and waited. Then pressed the power button. No sign of life at any point. Any suggestions for what's next? Thanks!

4. Audit13, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017

Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

If the machine has been sitting for months without being connected to a charger, it's possible that the battery is completely discharged.

Try reconnecting the battery and connecting the charger. If you press the power button, you should see a battery icon to indicate that the battery is completely drained. If you get nothing, you might want to carefully remove and inspect the battery for any signs of swelling and the logic board for any sign of corrosion.

I assume the charger has been confirmed to be working properly.

5. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

Plugged the battery back in. Plugged in the power cable. The battery indicator lit one light, blinking, like a normal computer would do when charging from zero. That only blinked about 3 times. I was optimistic! But then it stopped blinking. Pressed the power and nothing happened. Removed charger cable and reattached, now I get all the battery lights blinking 5x again. Nothing happens with power button.

Battery looks like it's in good shape, no bulges at all. Shouldn't the computer be able to boot just fine without a battery anyway? I feel like this has to be a motherboard problem :(

6. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Try leaving the battery connect and charging for a couple of hours, then try to power up using the power button.

7. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

That's how it's been most of the time. No dice :(
    --- Post Merged, Dec 26, 2017 ---
    Tried both the removable and non-removable options for SMC reset, but no life after either.

8. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

If the charger is working for sure, I think it's time to carefully examine the logic board for defects.

9. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah yes sorry - the charger works on several other computers on hand. No issue there. Carefully examining the motherboard may tell me what's wrong, but it won't help me fix it. Replacing the motherboard is not going to be worth it :(

10. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

You did not say anything about the LED on the magsafe connector!
    What color is the LED when you attach the connector?
    Is it a bright green (not very dim)?

Make sure the battery is installed, and the battery connection is secure.
    Disconnect the magsafe connector.
    Then, unplug the adapter from power, wait about 10 minutes, then plug back in.
    The connector LED should light up immediately.
    Let that sit connected (with the LED on green) for 10 minutes or so, then try the power button.

If the LED appears a normal green (but never goes orange), then the battery is not charging.
    If all lights flash 5 times after pressing the battery test button, the battery is bad.

Remove the battery AGAIN. Connect the magsafe connector.
    Again, let it sit plugged in for a minute or two.
    Press the power button. Does it turn on? Watch the magsafe LED. Does that change (maybe go dimmer)?
    Press the battery test button... Do the battery test lights blink 5 times again?
    Probably a FAILED MAGSAFE BOARD, as there's no battery to test when its not installed.
    If replacing the magsafe board does not fix, then it's a logic board.

11. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

The LED is bright green all the time.

Yeah, that's what happens. All of those things are exactly as it behaves.

Computer did not turn on. Magsafe LED did not change a bit, not dimmer. Battery test button does blink 5x when presed.

Is the Magsafe board this tiny little board I see right by the connector? I'm sure iFixit has a repair guide, doesn't look like it could be too difficult. Lets see!

Edit: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...Mid+2009+MagSafe+DC-In+Board+Replacement/1732

Ack! 28 steps, basically it's a complete teardown. I think this computer is a goner :( For a 2009 model, the upside is pretty limited.

12. MacRuff_01 macrumors newbie

I had the very same problems and followed the very same step to no avail....unit I found this youtube video and it powered on:
    How To Fix: MacBook Pro Won't Turn On (Power On)