2011 Macbook Pro 15'' track pad sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marshallbedsaul, Nov 10, 2011.

1. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

Hello,
    my 2011 15'' pro purchased in July is making some odd sounds. Really annoying seems like the trackpad has developed some ultra sensitive sound. Whenever I go to place my finger on the track pad I hear a slight click sound.
    Not the actual click when you click. But just placing my finger on it click click click over 75% of the trackpad is doing so.

any help ?

2. WickedOne513 macrumors newbie

Are you near an Apple store or tech? Sounds like you might have some separation in the touch pad layers... Does it still respond the way it should?

3. marshallbedsaul thread starter macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I have a apple store 5 minutes from my house,but am very busy. Also for the most part fully functional. Yesterday the click was not there today here I pay close attention always lol.

4. WickedOne513 macrumors newbie

But you are not noticing any loss of function or the track pad actually clicking when you hear it?

5. jeffreyj900 macrumors newbie

Never mind... Re-read your post, and this wouldn't be it. File away for future reference though :)

I might be able to help. I have a 15 inch 2011 and a 13 inch 2010 Macbook Pro(s). They have different power adapter ratings (65w and 85w). I kept hearing a strange noise as I scrolled up and down using my track pad on the 15 inch. Very faint but noticeable. It was driving me NUTS. What I figured out was it wasn't my Macbook Pro that was making the noise. It was the power adapter. I was using the one that came with my 13 inch. I started using the one that came with my 15 inch Macbook Pro and the noise stopped.

6. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

I know exactly what you're talking about... I have an older MBP, but I had the same problem. If you press on it lightly, it make a clicking sound but it's not actually clicking!

I opened up my MBP and took out the battery so I could see the trackpad. There's a weird three-pronged star screw which holds the trackpad together. I tightened that screw, and the clicking finally stopped...

If you're still under warranty, I'd take it to an Apple Store though...