2011 MacBook Pro 15 vs HP Envy 17

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hondzik2002, Mar 10, 2011.

1. hondzik2002 macrumors newbie

I just got my first Macbook Pro last week, it replaced HP 17 i7. I had the hp for six months, liked it at first... I thought it was a beast. Did not buy the mac at the time thinking it was too expensive... unfortunately the hp was big, hot and power hungry...worked as a desktop replacement but battery life was too short (1 hr 45 min ) to move it anywhere. Even with a cooling pad heat was a constant problem...it had a blue-ray (I used it only couple of times) Hi def screen and still... I did not like it that much only after couple of months. When the new MBP came out, I forced my brother to by the HP from me ;) and jumped on the mac wagon. The learning curve was steep at first but once I figured most of the basics it is becoming easy..HP built quality is good for a pc notebook but pales next to macbook pro. The mac just works: does not crash does not act up and the battery life is great, it gets warm when i run the handbrake but nothing like the hp. I've been reading MacRumors forums for about a week now and thought to drop a line or two about my experience with those two notebooks.

2. jeremyhelm macrumors newbie

Thanks for sharing. I just got a macbook pro myself (albeit replacing the first generation unibody model). A few days ago I learned of the HP envy & I wondered if it might become a feasible hackintosh. From what I can tell this hasn't come to fruition as of yet, but hearing about the differences in build quality is reassuring - I've grown used to this sort of sturdy.

enjoy the machine

3. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Well if you would compare the HP Envy 17 with the current Sandy Bridge with an imaginary MBP with the old Quad Cores things would look very different.
    The old quads were not nearly as fast and very hot and idle power draw &and idle cooling requirements were insane.
    A MBP with those would also have 2-3h battery life, throttling issues and you could boil eggs on it while idle.
    Compare the new Envy 17 with the new MBP and all that really is different is the chassis, Trackpad and maybe screen. But it probably will run cooler than the current MBP and the GPU is still a bit more powerful.

5. Scalion macrumors newbie

I'm waiting to see if hp will throw a new Envy 14 or 15".
    But we got no news about refresh :(
    Only 17" but for me it's too big

The envy are the direct comparaison of pc laptop.
    Im gonna take my decision by the end of the spring see if i buy a macbook pro or... envy 3d 17"