2011 MacBook Pro 17 question more vram than Apple stated

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duffer6, Mar 3, 2011.

1. duffer6 macrumors 6502

Under system profiler: Graphics my Intel HD Graphics 3000 is reporting 512mb of Vram I thought it was supposed to be 384mb. Also the Intel HD Graphics 3000 is showing no monitor attached while the AMD Radeon HD 6750M is showing the LCD display attached with the correct resolution. I thought the ATI was only used when the GPU was under heavy stress such as video encoding. By the way my ATI vram is correct reporting 1024mb of vram which is correct according to Apple Specs. I have no external monitor attached.

Any insight would be truly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Any app that accesses the OpenCL library will switch the machine to the higher-spec video card. That list, unfortunately, includes apps like Chrome, Skype, and Coda, which certainly do not need the higher end card.

Solution: install http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus and you can choose which it uses.

3. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hoff,

Thanks for the app suggestion. I found out which application was causing the need for the ati use. Odd is was the WD smartview app for my networked hard drive. All good now.

Thanks again.

4. proboscisjoe, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

proboscisjoe macrumors member

proboscisjoe

512MB VRAM Reported on 13" MPB, too.

I upgraded to 8GB of RAM and a 7200rpm hard drive before booting my rev8,1 13" MacBook Pro for the first time. After startup, when I inspected the System Profiler I found that the Intel HD 3000 graphics were reported as having 512MB of video RAM, rather than 384MB.

I assumed initially that this may have been the result of the upgraded RAM, but then found your post concerning this same issue, but with no mention of having upgraded from the stock 4GB of RAM.

This is interesting...

Of course, Apple's specs page does state that "minimum graphics memory usage is 384MB," and that "memory available to Mac OS X may vary depending on graphics needs."

5. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I think you hit onto something. I did upgrade the memory to 8GB. So do you think with the increased ram has allowed the system to allocate more memory to the Intel graphics chips. I assume it is dynamic memory or virtual vram if you will. What are your thoughts?

6. NintendoFan macrumors regular

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I remembered it and caught this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3246

7. proboscisjoe macrumors member

proboscisjoe

Kb wtf

Your bump was quite welcome! Thanks for pointing us to official documentation.

8. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

Very helpful, thank you!!!!

9. mankymanning macrumors regular

Does anyone know if you can disable the intel graphics and force use of discrete only? I could really do with my 512MB back as I use heavy VMs a lot...

10. Meetster macrumors member