2011 Macbook Pro Battery Life Issue's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr.Uav, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Mr.Uav macrumors newbie

I bought my Macbook Pro 13" about a week ago and it said that i should have 7-8 hours of battery life but i only get about 4-5 hours when fully charged. The only thing i know is that this was an issue for everyone updated to Lion. My only concern is that i updated my Macbook to 10.7.2 and it still didn't fix it. So what can i do to get my Macbook to the full 7-8 hours for school? The 4-5 hours won't cut it and its really disappointing.

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

What do you use it for? What have you running in the background?

3. Mr.Uav thread starter macrumors newbie

School work ( word process), watching movies, browsing, and little video editing. I really don't know, i forgot to mention that this is my first ever Mac, I've been a PC user almost all my life so i am really new to all of this.

4. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I assume they aren't done concurrently.

Some of those tasks are intensive and use battery intensively. Do you need Wifi to be turned on during school? Is it even on at school? How's your brightness set at?

5. Mr.Uav thread starter macrumors newbie

no, its one of those days when i really need to use my Mac i will take it. my brightness is setup at medium.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

This is the footnote on the apple website for the MBP 13''. It says "up to 7 hr wireless web browsing."

I guess that watching movies and video editing is a bit more demanding, which might reduce you to 4-5 hours. Have a look at the battery guide and run one of the programs suggested there to check if the capacity is fine:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23

7. Mr.Uav thread starter macrumors newbie

Well im not doing it all at once, but i still get ****** battery life, even if im just surfing the web (I.E. youtube, yahoo news, Facebook, twitter)

8. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Sure you'll get 7-8 hours of battery life at 1/2 brightness browsing the web. You will not however get 7-8 hrs of youtubing. Flash is an CPU intensive app. Popups and adds do as well for that matter. It will kill your batterylife down to 4-5 hrs as you have been seeing.

Check out how much current you're pulling and what's the watt usage.

open up a terminal and type in "pmset -g rawlog"

and or check your coconut battery. For reference, here's my stats of my 15 inch running on integrated video with 1/2 brightness while typing up this post.

You need to be in the 7-8 watt range on a 13 inch to reach 7-8 hrs. It's easily doable, you're just probably doing something more intensive than browsing macrumors.

EDIT: Yes, that does say 7:56 time remaining.

Attached Files:

9. Warbitrary macrumors regular

If you have flash installed it will drain your battery much faster. Try the ClickToFlash extension to reduce the drain from ads and other unnecessary flash elements.

10. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

17" early 2011 MBP here. My TDP is around 10-15w when running simple stuff/not doing anything crazy on battery. Since I have a 8450mAh battery, it lasts a good 6-7 hours doing this!

11. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Hey, I bought the same model as you, back in September of this year, and mine also only lasts 4-5 hours tops, regardless of what I do. I have taken it into an Apple store twice, and they've said that the battery is fine, and they seem to think that its because of the programs I'm running. All I know, is that with my prior windows laptops, the battery life that they've advertised, is about what I'd get, running the same apps, or same types of apps. Yet, I get less than what Apple advertises. Other than battery life, I absolutely love my 13" Macbook Pro.

12. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

have you two reset your SMC's yet?

13. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

What is a SMC and how do you reset it?

14. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

15. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I read somewhere that Lion has a 3hour battery decrease. Can't remember where I read it though.:eek:

16. newdeal macrumors 68020

If you want your computer to last all day at school your options are bring the power cord or get an ipad. Possibly there are some windows computers that will do it if you add a very large extended battery

17. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

or cut down usage... mine easily gets me through a normal day of classes.

18. gfxl macrumors newbie

I had the same issue with my 15" Macbook Pro and I found that the reason for the reduced battery life was that some applications were triggering use of the ATI graphics card which use more power than the integrated Intel graphics.

The solution I found was to install gfxCardStatus and manually select the integrated graphics.

If you're going to do something graphically intensive like playing games, you can then switch to the discrete graphics.

19. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

The 13" only has an integrated graphics card so that would be pointless.

20. EdDigitalMac macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue with OP have have tried all sort of things, incl switching to the more battery gentle Intel card but still getting only about 4-5 hours.

Been only using it for a few days now. Have not run SMC yet but planning to in coming weeks should battery situation not improved. :eek:

21. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Do you have the 13 or 15 inch?

22. Mr.Uav thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the 13" model, i love it and i had it about two weeks now. But my 2 only complaint is that it gets very hot even while watching youtube videos.... and the battery life. I have tried SMC and nothing major happened. The only thing i may know what may cause all of that is Lion itself. I've heard numerous complaints that Lion runs flash and that is the reason for the sucky battery life and getting hot. I'm researching on how to get Snow Leopard back on here, but since im a Mac Newbie im afraid of screwing something up.

23. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I'm sorry, but this part doesn't make any sense at all. Can you explain what you meant by that?