2011 Macbook Pro beachballs all th etime

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JasonR, Apr 25, 2012.

1. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

So I picked up this Machine off of eBay, was bought in August 2011 so there is AppleCare still left. 15" 2.2 Ghz, 8 Gb ram, high-res anti-glare. This thing beach balls all the time, whether I'm writing a simple post or just growing the internet. It's becoming really frustrating. I have safari open and that's it and I just don't understand why the damn thing is slow.

Any ideas on a fix?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Also, click on the System Memory tab at the bottom. Then take a screen shot, scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot and post them.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

have you tested its using all 8GB of RAM, as GGJ pointed out in Activity Monitor on the Memory tab make sure its using all 8GB if its using less than 4 than 1 stick could be defective

4. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I'll check it out when I get home. But even with 7 GB of ram I should not be seeing beachballs while browsing the web or writing a simple post.

5. SurferMan, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012

SurferMan macrumors 65816

Even if one stick were defective it shouldn't be having that issue as there is still 4GB left which is more than enough for the avg user, especially with you saying it's happening with only Safari running. I've used a computer before where one stick was defective and it was fine untill doing heavier stuff with virtual system, wherein we found out one stick wasn't working. Try pulling one stick or the other and see if one or the other let's the computer run fine. Might want to check disk permissions, or try a fresh install and see what happens.

Sounds dumb but do you know which RAM it's using? Some people have mix-matched sticks before not knowing and caused glitches like this too.

6. mac jones macrumors 68040

post your findings.

I'm curious....actually :eek:

See if you can troubleshoot this yourself, otherwise a time consuming trip to an Apple store will do it.

----------

Oh yes that's right, repair disk permissions in the disk utility. You need to do this anyway. It's not a big deal, but needs to be done occasionally, and sometimes really can be an issue in rare occasions.

note: I wonder why this isn't more automated? (permissions, that is). I don't know. There must be a reason I don't know about (as in...I don't know squat anyway :D )

7. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Excellent thought. Automated permissions verification. Would be a great enhancement.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.

Five Mac maintenance myths
    There are times when repairing permissions is appropriate. To do so, here are the instructions:
    If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.