2011 MacBook Pro Boot Camp Battlefield 3?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DeadPixel217, Mar 31, 2012.

1. DeadPixel217 macrumors member

Just wanted to get some user experiences on this. I know its pretty specific but you never know :)

I have an early 2011 2.3Ghz Quad Core i7 MacBook Pro. I'm going to upgrade the RAM to 16Gb soon and was wondering if any of you had experience playing Battlefield 3 through Bootcamp. Whether its booting into Windows or running that partition through something like VMWare Fusion.

Basically will it be able to play it at decent spec levels?

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

16GB RAM doesn't change anything in regards to gaming capability. Even 8GB doesn't really offer any benefit. 4GB is all you'd need.

http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Apple-MacBook-Pro-15-Late-2011-2-4-GHz-6770M-glare.66262.0.html

With a bit of tweaking you can make some medium/low details work.
    Me personally I think a 1st person shooter needs some 45 fps average to really work perfectly well. If you just barely reach 30 fps average it drops too often too low especially when the action is on and you really need the fluent fps. I consider 30 fps avg enough for strategy games like starcraft but not for 1st person shooter green should be 40+ and 25-30 yellow and below red.
    BF3 on low works but on anything higher it really doesn't work too well on most notebooks.
    That is why I prefer CoD the game play might not be as great for big battles but at least you can play it very well without buying some gaming notebook.

Notebookcheck tests are usually run at 1366x768 resolution to be comparable. Not entirely sure if those are 720p or the native 1440x900. If they are 1080p there is usually a mention.

3. JNL Productions macrumors member

I tried BF3 on the same model you're talking about (6750m right?). Without overclocking, you never really exceed 35fps on full res with low settings. With overclocking, which IMO, is pretty dangerous, then you can get to 40-45. That's why I sold my MBP with the same specs. If you've got the 6770m, then it's basically an already overclocked 6750m without the extra heat. Still, I think BF3 will play like a dream when apple announces the new MBP with Kepler (like a gt 650m) assuming they don't retina up the resolution on the laptops.

4. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Overclocking without undervaluing is dangerous, yet. Without undervolting you will see an increase in temp. I have only played BF3 once without the overclock/undervolt and I never see my GPU exceed 80ºC, although I use Lubbos fan control to boost my fan speed to 6k rpm and also use throttlestop to limit my CPU to 2.3ghz (I also upgraded to the 2820qm 2.3ghz).

I did also apply MX-4 thermal paste.