2011 Macbook Pro - bottom panel "clicking" noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rg1980, Dec 14, 2011.

1. rg1980 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and found some great information so far. In need of some help with a problem I have with my 2011 Macbook Pro 13.3".

I noticed on the bottom of my macbook pro...when I hold it or put some pressure close to the centre region or centre to top (towards the screen), I can hear a fairly loud "clicking" noise. I does not really appear anywhere else on the bottom except for those regions. I've compared to a couple of other models like mine and have not seen them having this same issue.

Is there a easy fix or should I consider taking this into the apple store to have it looked at? I'm curious if other people have this issue also. My laptop is only 1 month old.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

2. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I have the same problem. I just thought it was because I had an incase hardshell on it. I don't know what to do about it though. It started a long time ago. It's pretty annoying. I have a mid-2010 model.

3. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

4. rg1980, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

rg1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: I opened up my 2011 13 inch macbook pro and I think I know where that sound is coming from. There seems to be these three spots in the middle where the this ribbon from the dvd drive comes to and they just pop into main board. The bottom panel seems to rubbing against it when any slight pressure is put in that area. I was testing if putting some tape on the bottom panel where its rubbing would stop the "clicking" noise and it actually works!

Now I have no clue if this is a reasonable solution but is electric tape bad to use on the bottom panel. Its a pretty small pice used (1cm X 2cm). Or should I still take this in?. It seems to be working fine with no sounds coming from carrying my laptop or using it on my lap compared to before.

Thanks again for everyone's help and advice.