2011 Macbook Pro - can I sell it to be refurbished?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acar23, May 16, 2015.

1. acar23 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I am new to macrumors. I joined because I am experiencing a rather serious dilemma concerning my Macbook Pro (which was a hand-me-down from my dad who bought the laptop in 2011.) The computer had worked well for me during my senior year of high school and up until the end of fall semester of my sophomore year of college. I just finished sophomore year, and cannot afford to buy another Macbook because I am now expected to pay for it on my own, and don't exactly have $1000 to throw around.

Here is the brief of the issues with my Macbook Pro:

Screen cracked around November, 2014. I had the entire display replaced by Apple. Shortly after, the "bad RAM" error signals were taking place. This consisted of 3 beeps that for a few months, I could cease by pressing a combination of keys, and continue using the computer as normally.

Eventually, the RAM error beeps happened more and more often, and the computer would just FREEZE. To the extent that it was not useful, or trustworthy considering my school work.

I brought it to my schools tech center (considering warranty is has long been up), and they determined that the motherboard is working sporadically, and that "one of the RAM slots is bad" or "one of the RAM sticks is bad". They got me a new RAM stick. This new stick obviously has not solved the problem.

I am not interested in replacing the motherboard... I would rather purchase a new computer.

Can I sell my Macbook to be refurbished (or at least some of the parts), for a good amount of money to be used toward another computer? If so, how/where should I go about selling the laptop?

Also, I have a huge photo library, school documents, etc, that I don't want to lose, so what would be the best way to back up all this information? Because I cannot use my computer without the RAM beeping happening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...:)

2. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

Use Time Machine to back up your entire disk contents to an external hard drive.

Personally, I would sell it on eBay - making sure to fully disclose the issues you are still experiencing.

You can sell anything as long as you describe it accurately.

Good luck!!

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Just sell it in eBay or Craigslist. Note the issues you're having, and someone may be interested in buying it.

4. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

A 2011 base MBP with a bad motherboard won't be worth much. At most $200 in my opinion.