2011 macbook pro CD/DVD drive issue.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amycishere, Aug 13, 2011.

1. amycishere macrumors 6502

So I bought a new macbook pro about two months ago. Less then a week ago I accidentally put a dirty CD in my drive.I didn't check the bottom of the CD and didn't realize it had confetti on it. My friend who is very crafty sent me a CD and a card and she loves confetti and some of it must have gone into the CD sleeve. I was gutted at my mistake but it happened and there was nothing I could do. I took it to my nearest applecare authorized service center called Mac RX. He said that I was covered under my applecare three year warranty. Which actually surprised me as I thought no accidental damage was included. He ordered me a new drive and put it in a few days later.

Everything seems to be working fine except when I start up the computer the new new drive makes a longer and a slightly louder noise then before. Is this normal because it is a new drive? Should I try and put a CD in or should I just leave it and take it in?

Thank you.
    Amy

2. blkonblk17 macrumors 6502

Hi Amy, First off congrats on the new MBP :D If it were me I would stick a disc in there that you don't care much about maybe a recorded music cd-r and see if it plays. Worst case if it eats it and doesn't want to spit it out you can always go to the upper right hand corner of your screen and use spotlight to bring up "Terminal" once it's opened input the following command " drutil tray eject 0 " without the quotations and it will force the drive to eject the disc. If that doesn't work you can hold the eject key as well. If that doesn't work there is other methods of angling the computer and shaking it, actually let's not got into that one :D Either way just go with your gut feeling. If it doesn't sound right to you take it in. I'm not sure how far is the shop from you but might be something willing to consider if you live close by. When I start up my MBP the superdrive does make a brief sound but maybe 1-2 seconds tops. Mine is a 2011 i7 model. Keep us posted if you find anything out. Goodluck and Cheers!

3. amycishere thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so very much. Once I'm feeling a bit better I will try it out. I just had two wisdom teeth out and one more as well. This was all just yesterday. I'm just pretty out of it. Only have started up my macbook pro twice since the drive change and already the second time sounded better.

4. blkonblk17 macrumors 6502

Wow, gotta love it. You've gone through all this and still manage to turn on your macbook :D kudos to you my friend. I hope you "and" your MPB recover lol. Take care!

5. amycishere thread starter macrumors 6502

I know, I know. I deserved that. Anyway, drive works. A bit noisy. May take it in at some point. Thanks so much for your help, hopefully I wasn't too annoying.