2011 Macbook Pro get much hotten than 2010 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rimmi2002, Jul 5, 2011.

1. rimmi2002 macrumors member

Hi I had a 2010 MBP and then upgraded to a 2011 one. I have only had it for about 4-5 days, but notice that the top left hand corner on the bottom part of the laptop (directly across the DVD drive) next the to the USB/thunderbolt are. The area that rest on my lap gets really hot at times. I never had this issue with the 2010 MBP....is this an issue with this line of computers or something else going on here? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

I have run istatpro - and CPU temps run from 50-60 C. Exhaust is always running at full at 1996.

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

You are comparing a quad core CPU to a dual ore CPU.
    And its normal.
    My MBP runs around 40C on cold start with fan running around 1996.
    But when I run CS5, Final Cut Pro, Aperture, or play games, my MBP gets hotter and the fan kicks up to 5900rpm.
    When I use it long just for Safari or net browsing, it kicks up to around 50C.

If I watch videos the heat also goes up especially HD videos.

Once again, its normal

3. rimmi2002 thread starter macrumors member

I guess it is not he actual CPU heat that I mind as much, but its the fact that its really heating up my lap with the majority of the heat coming from the area I mentioned above. Sometimes that area is even too hot to touch and that never happened with my 2010 mbp.

4. rimmi2002 thread starter macrumors member

anyone else having the underpart of their 2011 mbp heating up quite a bit with use? Thanks.

5. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

When charging, yes. It is the area around the MagSafe charging port.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor).

Unless there is a rare defect in your Mac, your temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload you're putting on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of around 2000 rpm (for MBPs). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Quad core Vs Dual Core.

You are going to get a lot more heat.

Everyone cried about why 13 inch MBP did not get Intel's latest CPU last year. blah blah...

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

9. Kimbie macrumors regular

Kimbie

My 2011 15" 2.2 with the big AMD card gets hot on the underside, when gaming will sit about 80oC.

Just get one of those laptop lap cooler things then should be ok

10. zflauaus macrumors 65816

My 2008 MacBook Pro gets hot on the bottom. Hell, almost any computer is going to get hot on the bottom anymore. Just the MacBook Pro more so because the aluminum is basically a giant heatsink.

11. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Does it really? (Thats an honest question)

I keep PS and AI open with a project all the time along with usual suspects and my fan doesn't go above 2500 until I play a facebook game and then it takes a few miunutes or alot of activity to make the fans get anywhere near 5900.

Thats strange..