2011 Macbook Pro hanging and getting beach balls a frequently.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klinic, Jul 9, 2012.

1. klinic macrumors member

My 2011 Macbook Pro with 2.3 GHz i7, 8gb of ram and an OWC Mercury SataII SSD in the optical bay and a 500 GB Seagate (Momentus I think, it's been a while since I installed it. The one with the 4gb SSD in it) HDD in the hard drive bay.

Recently it's been taking a long time to access menus, things haven't quite been going right. Audio inputs don't seem to be showing up consistently in the volume icon although my interface is able to detect that Pro Tools is running, or at least that it is plugged in to the computer.

Now it's taking up to a minute to switch between tabs, it looks as if it's taking a REALLY long time to load or to start loading, like it's trying to mount a disc and failing.

What could this be? Once things START to load they seem to be extremely snappy, but they hang again when I use another app for a bit.

Will Apple even help me out here? I did purchase the extended Apple care... But I ended up deciding later that I needed the extra onboard storage as well as the SSD just wasn't enough. I'm guessing that puts me out of luck with my warranty?

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

My first port of call would be repair disk permissions.

3. GooberGrape macrumors newbie

Reinstall Flashplayer.

4. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Did you keep the ODD? If you can put that back in place Apple will help you under the extended warranty you purchased. No problem with the Seagate being in the HDD slot as replacing the HDD and or RAM does not void your warranty.

5. klinic thread starter macrumors member

Repairing permissions and restarting seemed to do the trick.

Is it true that Apple won't care that I've taken out the ODD? Would be nice to be able to take it back to them when something inevitably DOES fail.

Thank you for the help. =)

6. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Removing the ODD voids your warranty.

7. klinic thread starter macrumors member

That is what I thought. I'd always thought they're be able to tell if I removed the ODD even if I replaced. Wizard skills or something.

Hang on, wait, you're the same person who said it would be fine if I replaced it before taking it to them.

Well, now I'm confused. :/

8. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Sorry if you misunderstood what I was trying to get across. What I'm saying is if you remove the ODD and replace it with an HDD/SDD, as many are doing, it voids your warranty. However, if you have a problem and need service you put the ODD back in (back to stock configuration) before going in for service. Apple can't tell at that point whether you had an HDD/SDD in there and should service your MBP under warranty. Replacing RAM and or HDD does not affect your warranty. The following was taken from Apple's official online U.S.A. warranty.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY?
    This warranty does not apply to any non-Apple branded hardware products or any software, even if packaged or sold with Apple hardware. Manufacturers, suppliers, or publishers, other than Apple, may provide their own warranties to you but Apple, in so far as permitted by law, provides their products "AS IS". Software distributed by Apple with or without the Apple brand (including, but not limited to system software) is not covered by this warranty. Please refer to the licensing agreement accompanying the software for details of your rights with respect to its use. Apple does not warrant that the operation of the Apple Product will be uninterrupted or error-free. Apple is not responsible for damage arising from failure to follow instructions relating to the Apple Product’s use.

This warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product, or (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product.