2011 Macbook pro hovering at 87-94 c when playing crysis 2 or rendering

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by erigas, Apr 6, 2011.

1. erigas, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

erigas macrumors member

I haven't had any shutdowns or freezes, but Im wondering if gaming(Crysis 2) under Windows 7 bootcamp will cause any long term damage to my processor cores.

Im using Cpuid in Windows to monitor the temps of my cores.
    Same thing happens when I render in Modo.

2. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Those temperatures are pretty high for long term use. While it might not cause harm over a couple of months in a year or two it could cause things in your Macbook Pro to start giving out.

Macbook Pros seem to have trouble (in my experience) with their fans and monitoring temperatures under Bootcamp, maybe due to some bad drivers written by Apple. Try using lubbo's macbook fan control to keep the temperatures in the 70s range. You need microsoft's latest .net installed to use it.

3. erigas thread starter macrumors member

Thanx for the reply.
    I tried Lubbo's but it completely messes up the whole Fan scheduling to the point that my left fans stay at 2000 when the right ones are fully blasting. I had to do an SMC reset in OSX after using that program.

It seems that since the fans are spinning at full speed under load (crysis2, rendering), there is little that a fan control program can do short of letting them kick-in earlier.
    I think the reason that this is not happening under OSX, is because there's some serious throttling down done by Apple where windows does not. I can tell because rendering the same scene in Modo, I get a bit faster results in Windows.(15% or so)

I think I will try getting that Tunefan cooler from Macally and purchase that extended warranty which will cover this computer when it decides to go tits-up in a year or two.

Any feedback on that cooler stand by the way?

4. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

No experience with that particular cooler but Macally products have always worked great for me, and I think the extended warranty is a very good idea in your situation.