2011 Macbook Pro + iPad Pro 2018 or 2018 Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by whatisitscienti, Dec 11, 2018.

1. whatisitscienti macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice and hopefully you can help.

My 2011 Macbook Pro has 'died' a few times now and I've coaxed it back every time but I think it might be a bit long in the tooth now. Normally, I'd be thinking about upgrading to another computer but the new iPad Pro has me intrigued.

What do you think - should I get an iPad Pro or even a 2018 iPad for all the everyday stuff and keep the old Macbook Pro as backup for anything that specifically requires a computer or should I just buy a new Macbook Pro and be done with it? I can't afford to get a new laptop and tablet so it's one or the other I'm afraid.

I should also add that I mainly use my computer for streaming video, music, a bit of photo editing, some writing for work and I connect it to a projector to show work in classes.

Thanks for any help and advice.

2. Hym tix macrumors regular

Hym tix

If you have not already done so: put an SSD in that old MacBook Pro. It may give you a few more years of really good performance, at the price of $100 - $200 depending on the size of SSD you want to buy.

And then... yeah, go for the new iPad for your day-to-day use. Content consumption and light photo editing are some of the strengths of the iPad Pro. Of course, for your critical work tasks, do some research to make sure you are content with the options available on iPad

3. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

If the 2011 MacBook Pro is your only computer, I personally would get a new one rather than an iPad Pro, but I am still very much invested in the Mac way of doing things. Although one possibility depending on your budget is to get a new MacBook Pro of some type (maybe a discounted 2017 model) combined with the regular 2018 iPad. That way you get the best of both worlds, in some sense.

4. whatisitscienti thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. I do have an SSD in my 2011 MBP but it's had a few hiccups in the last few years and a newer model is looking very tempting. The dilemma is to buy for now (MBP) or pre-empt the future (iPad pro). Thanks again

5. flur macrumors 68020

flur

I would look at budget and your longer term plan. You will likely want to replace the laptop at some point, even if you don’t do it now. If you go iPad now, when will you then plan to replace the laptop (maybe with another laptop, maybe with a desktop configuration)? If you’ll be replacing the laptop within a year or so, go with the iPad. If by getting the iPad, you’re committing to several more years with your troublesome 2011, replace the laptop.

6. Hym tix macrumors regular

Hym tix

I always buy for now.

If I buy something in hopes of what it will be with iOS 13 or when they port MacOS to iPad... or whatever feature we hope they add... then it is just a frustrating wait in the meantime.