2011 MacBook Pro + iPhone 4 = Constant Crashing (kernel panic)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mshahnoora, Mar 20, 2011.

1. mshahnoora macrumors newbie

Hi All!

I just recently obtained the new 2011-edition 17" MacBook Pro. Although it's quite a very high-performance machine, it seems to have a definite consistent problem.

Every time I connect my iPhone 4 and enable USB tethering, the computer almost immediately crashes, asking me to manually shutdown/restart the computer (in several languages). I'm still using iOS 4.2.1 and Bluetooth tethering still works (albeit obviously slower than USB). I've installed BootCamp and confirmed that USB tethering still works in Windows 7 perfectly. I've even installed Parallels and assigned the virtual machine to use my iPhone 4 as the primary network, and VM USB tethering works perfectly as well. However, USB tethering in Mac OS X only seems to be a major problem

This problem never happened to my previous MacBook Pro(s). Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks much for the input!

2. endless17 macrumors member

it's definitely a bug with the latest MBPs and/or the version of 10.6.6 on them. it happens to mine as well (though i'm often able to tether for some time before the kernel panic happens), and there's a somewhat lengthy thread on Apple's support forums detailing the same problem.

3. Meedee macrumors newbie

I have a same problem. It seems like Brand new Macbook Pro(2011)+Iphone4(tethering)=Kernel Panic. Actually, i change my new MBP 3 times. All of them give me kernel panic.
    If you have a any solution, plz tell me

4. Starship77 macrumors regular

Starship77

Still happens with 10.6.7

I just updated to 10.6.7 and thought the problem would be solved, but no... Same thing happens: Kernel Panic after a few minutes using USB tethering in an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3. It seems that if you boot in 32 bit kernel mode, the problem doesn't happen, but I haven't tried that just yet.

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

this happened on my 2010 MBP, but only if I started torrenting while on it.
    buletooth or usb, it would panic.