Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sucker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
http://www.mbp2011.com/ My 2011 MacBook Pro is dead after just about 2 years. Malfunctions like screen blurring, freeze and distortion happened, can't even boot and enter the system now. This universal issue is caused by the GPU of MacBook Pro Early 2011! Apple should start an quality investigation and do a recall on all these flawed models! I've shared my experience here: http://www.mbp2011.com/

Join us and comment on the page if you have encounter the same issue! We are trying everything we can so apple cannot ignore this.:mad:
mbp20111.jpg

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
You did not buy an extended warranty and now, 2 years latter, you expect Apple to fix your computer free of charge. Why?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
You want a reasonable explanation? Well, here is it - you've got bad luck. There is that thing called 'extended warranty' to protect you from such things. Your website is just laughable btw.

filtatos

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
lucky and unlucky

You want a reasonable explanation? Well, here is it - you've got bad luck. There is that thing called 'extended warranty' to protect you from such things. Your website is just laughable btw.

You did not buy an extended warranty and now, 2 years latter, you expect Apple to fix your computer free of charge. Why?

Because this is a common issue:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2768351?start=1830&tstart=0
https://discussions.apple.com/message/22944856#22944856
https://discussions.apple.com/message/22751155#22751155

The number of people facing the problem, and the number of faulty logic
boards (many had 2,3 or 4 replacements only to face the same problem
again and again), is making this issue seem like a manufacturing problem.

I had the luck to have mine replaced just 2 weeks before the 2 years margin
for free, due to the 2years EU guarantee law. The 2nd logic board started
to present the same symptoms, just 4 months after the replacement.
My macbook pro works (until now) with automatic graphics switching disabled.

I find it difficult to understand you guys. Even Apple representatives that
I have talked about this issue with, were at least more polite.

A faulty logic board may be bad luck. 200 pages of people complaining about
GPU issues on their early 2011 macbook pros on discussions.apple.com,
without any official response, is bad management and blind refusal of
acknowledging -one more- GPU issue.

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
well i suggest you could speak to apple care and tell them that you had this same issue within warranty and had the board replaced but now you face the same issue again, also state that there are many who have the same issue. If you do not have luck there speak to customer relations they are a bunch of cool polite understanding people. Ask them to look into your issue and provide a solution. A costly laptop should not fail in such a short time frame maybe 1 or 2 out of a 10 could but not a whole bunch of them. The 2008 and the mid 2010 had the same issues.
All the best.

filtatos

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
well i suggest you could speak to apple care and tell them that you had this same issue within warranty and had the board replaced but now you face the same issue again, also state that there are many who have the same issue. If you do not have luck there speak to customer relations they are a bunch of cool polite understanding people. Ask them to look into your issue and provide a solution. A costly laptop should not fail in such a short time frame maybe 1 or 2 out of a 10 could but not a whole bunch of them. The 2008 and the mid 2010 had the same issues.
All the best.

Hi nickandre21,
thank you for your suggestions.

I already talked to customers relations and authorised service provider in
my country, they were all very polite but could not offer a free replacement
because the guarantee for replacement parts is 3 months (the logic board
presented problems on the 4th month).

Since I am able to use my computer (after disabling the GPU switch), I
won't pay to replace the logic board, especially since many other users
seem to have worst problems, even right after the replacement.

But this trick (or many others suggested by various others on the
discussions.apple threads, like disabling ATI kexts, reapply GPU thermal paste...) wont work for most of the affected users (like the thread starter).

So, our only hope is Apple acknowledging the issue and offering a
replacement program...

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
http://www.mbp2011.com/ My 2011 MacBook Pro is dead after just about 2 years. Malfunctions like screen blurring, freeze and distortion happened, can't even boot and enter the system now. This universal issue is caused by the GPU of MacBook Pro Early 2011! Apple should start an quality investigation and do a recall on all these flawed models! I've shared my experience here: http://www.mbp2011.com/

Join us and comment on the page if you have encounter the same issue! We are trying everything we can so apple cannot ignore this.:mad:Image

As filtatos said if you are in the EU you can get it replaced within 2 years. Its EU law and therefore applies to every country in the EU.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012

These guys are the reasons why some companies fail.

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
This is why they offer the extended warranties. You're taking the risk of your machine dying and not being able to have it replaced free of charge by opting out of the extended warranty.

Technology isn't perfect, nor will it ever be. It can fail at any given time, regardless of how well you treat your computer.

filtatos

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
This is why they offer the extended warranties. You're taking the risk of your machine dying and not being able to have it replaced free of charge by opting out of the extended warranty.

Technology isn't perfect, nor will it ever be. It can fail at any given time, regardless of how well you treat your computer.

The above is correct and understandable.

The issue here is that there are many users facing this problem, many of
them after replacing the logic board 2,3, or even 4 times!

This leads many of us to think that this may be a manufacturing issue
or, at least, a quality control problem. Maybe we are wrong, we are not
able to prove that, but there are many signs leading to this conclusion.

I would happily agree to pay a moderate price for a logic board replacement
(since I use my Macbook pro for work, I took the risk of not buying
AppleCare, cannot afford a new one right now, and really need the ExpressCard slot),
but not after having my 2nd logic board fail with only 4 months of use,
presenting the same symptoms, and being aware that many users are facing
a similar situation.

This isn't just an issue of an almost 3000€ "pro" product (2.3 GHz 17'' matte
screen Macbook pro) that fails 2 times in 2 years and 3 months, but also
the failure of Apple to provide a flawless, working machine, even after the logic
board replacement.

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco

AppleCare, cannot afford a new one right now, and really need the ExpressCard slot),
a similar situation.

the failure of Apple to provide a flawless, working machine, even after the logic
board replacement.

I also see where you're coming from and you're also correct. Unfortunately, Apple may be choosing to turn a blind eye to this problem. But in business, it needs to be understood that regardless of if it is ethical (by a consumer's point of view) or not, if it is not under warranty they will not replace it due to them not knowing without a doubt that it is a hardware issue cause by them. They may be looking at it from the point of view of the customer damaging the product by dropping it, spilling liquid on it, etc. Furthermore, Apple more than likely looks at the positive in this situation, which is the many people who own a MacBook Pro and aren't dealing with this problem, which I would bet is more users than are having issues.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008

a similar situation.

board replacement.

I'm not sure what country you are in but try going to one of the flagship stores. My experience in the London flagship stores is that they will go above and beyond to make sure you are happy. I walked in and asked about my broken iphone cable, without even asking to see the phone they just handed me a new one off the shelf. Others have gone in after having multiple repairs to their MBP and they just gave them a current gen MBP. Its good PR and people keep buying when they are happy with the company. But it only seems to happen in the flagship stores. Worth a shot.

leez

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2008
UK
I did get a gadget insurance through my bank a while ago, but was not aware about this issue. Got the 2011 15, still working tho. I'm using it for about a year and something now, refurbished. Planing to update next year. It's out of warranty now, so I guess my insurer will eventually cover the costs if something happens.

It's only £7.50 a month for it. Cover up to £1000 in total. Think that's worth it.

Does anyone have any experience with claiming it after that issue occurred ?

yangchewren

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012

I can't see how his website is laughable. He's helping to gather other users with similar bad experiences.

If Apple was to fix every computer that was more than a year out of warranty then it would "fail".

So Lexus shouldn't have fixed faulty brakes despite having knowledge of impending risks to the consumer?

If we didn't take the absurd supposition that Apple were to fix every computer out of warranty, it is highly unlikely that it would fail.

If the fault were down to a component, Apple could easily claim damages from the offending manufacturer.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Move to a country with better consumer protection?

My 2007 MBP suffered from the 8600 GT graphics card failure. Fortunately it was fixed by Apple as part of their program to fix those faulty GPUs. However it is clear that if nobody complains about such failures, nothing would happen, and no free repairs would be made available.

So I think it is good that people are taking action to make others aware of potential widespread product failures.

Btw, one should also note that parts of the reason for higher prices in europe are those more strict customer protection laws. You get what you pay for ;)

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I can't see how his website is laughable. He's helping to gather other users with similar bad experiences.

No, he is claiming that Apple is (knowingly) selling a defunct product. I have seen no evidence for it so far. Yes, some people experienced similar to each other GPU-related failures. Well, guess what, other people experienced CPU related failures, HDD failures, SSD failures and PSU failures. A several dozens computers that fail in the same way do not constitute a 'universal issue'. There are way more reports of iMac "yellow screens" and retina MBP ghosting on these forums. The problem with 8600GT was a different one because it had an abnormally high failure rate and there was a proven manufacturing defect. I have seen no indication that this is true for the AMD chips.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
If Apple was to fix every computer that was more than a year out of warranty then it would "fail".

Too bad customer care actually means something to Apple. A manufacture defect is the responsibility of the manufacture. Just like how some cars have defects and parts have to be recalled. The manufacture takes care of that, not the customer. And I'm certainly not talking about the brakes being shot or a car gone bad due to no oil change.

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008

So Lexus shouldn't have fixed faulty brakes despite having knowledge of impending risks to the consumer?

If we didn't take the absurd supposition that Apple were to fix every computer out of warranty, it is highly unlikely that it would fail.

If the fault were down to a component, Apple could easily claim damages from the offending manufacturer.

Firstly it may not be a manufacturing defect. Just because there are a few posts on the internet complaining about computer faults does not mean this is a manufacturing issue. There were millions of these computers sold I would guess that the majority of them still work fine.

IF this manufacturing defect actually exists which I am not convinced that it actually does it is NOT the same thing as the Lexus example. As the Macbook Pro defect can not kill. Your comparison fails.

----------

Too bad customer care actually means something to Apple. A manufacture defect is the responsibility of the manufacture. Just like how some cars have defects and parts have to be recalled. The manufacture takes care of that, not the customer. And I'm certainly not talking about the brakes being shot or a car gone bad due to no oil change.

The fact is that this person's laptop died over a year after his warranty expired and there is no evidence that this is a widespread manufacturer defect - yes there are a few people complaining about this on the internet but people complain about everything on the internet. So Apple should not fix his computer.

yangchewren

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
Firstly it may not be a manufacturing defect. Just because there are a few posts on the internet complaining about computer faults does not mean this is a manufacturing issue. There were millions of these computers sold I would guess that the majority of them still work fine.

IF this manufacturing defect actually exists which I am not convinced that it actually does it is NOT the same thing as the Lexus example. As the Macbook Pro defect can not kill. Your comparison fails.

----------

The fact is that this person's laptop died over a year after his warranty expired and there is no evidence that this is a widespread manufacturer defect - yes there are a few people complaining about this on the internet but people complain about everything on the internet. So Apple should not fix his computer.

I was actually waiting for you to use some critical thinking. Because my reply was a reiteration of the logic you used (take this in good humour).

Just because Apple chooses to acknowledge this fault would not mean that they would need to repair every computer a year out of warranty, as suggested by you. Moreover there are numerous failsafes in place so that a single problem in manufacturing will not lead to a fall of Apple, or any other big corporation for that matter.

Techwatcher

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
NYC

Make fun of him all you want, but my MacBook Pro Early 2011 gave me the same exact problems a few weeks ago, and now doesn't even function. And I've had it repaired by them once before already.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Make fun of him all you want, but my MacBook Pro Early 2011 gave me the same exact problems a few weeks ago, and now doesn't even function. And I've had it repaired by them once before already.

I really hate these fanboys who knows nothing about computers and defend Apple as much as they can without any critical sense. If I had a problem like that with some of my Macs I'd give up Apple just like I gave up Toshiba some years before when my iGPU failed and I spent a big amount on reballing.

Well, actually I already had an unsolved issue with Apple (severe uneven yellowing on my rMBP), but after exchanging some displays I got one that is more or less even in the center where my eyes are focused most of the time. It's not as critical as the failure faced by the OP and a lot of 2011 MBP 15" owners. These Radeons really s**** an Apple is co-responsible when it's aware of the issue and does nothing like a recall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.