2011 macbook pro Mavericks performance

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Ih8reno, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Since upgrading to Mavericks my 2011 13" pro has been slow to boot and some programs stutter when opening (ex. disk utility). Has anyone with a mac felt this so far, and is there any way of restoring the speed it has. I'm assuming I will have to reinstall the os in a clean install but don't want to have to set up my mac as new.

2. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

I'm about to update my 2011 13" MBP pro as well (sandybridge i5). This worries me a bit. Are you using the original 5400rpm hdd, or do you have an SSD?

3. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

mine is the early 2011 pro 2.3ghz with the 320gb original hard drive. Only upgrade I have is 16gb of ram. The slowdown is only noticeable really during boot times and app launching, they are much slower then before. Again, when opening dick util it partially opens a window, stops, and then opens a full sized window. Very weird issue but when programs run they run like normal.

4. Irishman macrumors 68030

Do you run any other apps besides Disk Utility?

5. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Yes many, iWork apps, iLife apps all boot extremely slow as well.

6. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

7. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I haven't run into any problems on my 15" 2011 MBP after doing an upgrade (not a clean install). My system may not be comparable, though, since I had previously upgraded my hardware to 8 GB of RAM and an SSD.

8. gc15 macrumors regular

my 2011 macbook has been slow too, it has its days when it is and then whens its not. Sometimes i can count some applications to bounce around like 10 times before they open; for example, iTunes, Skype, word, iMessage, and sometimes safari. Im waiting to see if apple puts an update out first before i do a clean install because i don't want to organize my files, photos, or music. If there are others ways to do that please let me know, because i personally hate mavericks. It didn't add anything i use compared to ML besides the little bit of extra battery life.

9. MarcusCarpenter macrumors 6502a

MarcusCarpenter

Do a fresh install and you'll have a faster system, mine was slow till I did a fresh install

10. Irishman macrumors 68030

I've gone through and started up these same apps you name, and they don't take more than a bounce or two.

I have to think it's a problem with your configuration. I'm running a late 2012 iMac 21.5" 2.9GHz i5 w/ 8GB RAM and the GeForce GT 650M.

11. paolol61 macrumors newbie

paolol61

I have a MBP 2011 15" 16GB RAm and the original HD but I did not have any issue, but I did a clean of all the system with OnyX and also a full check of all the HD for permission.
    Try that before make a fresh install I found that the upgrade left some corrupted permission on the HD.
    :(

12. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

Even just booting once into Safe Mode (hold shift as you power on and continue to hold until the Safe Mode Progress screen appears) can potentially resolve some of your issues. One of the things involved with Safe Mode is to blow away the dyld shared cache; if this cache is somehow stale or corrupted, it can cause numerous issues. It will be rebuilt after you reboot out of safe mode.

You can also manually do this with update_dyld_shared_cache -root / -force in a Terminal window (super user privileges required) or by using a tool such as Onyx.

13. phillytim, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

I have an early 2011 MBPro (bought in August, came with Lion 10.7 already installed), and it's running great with Mavericks; however I did notice my boot time seemed longer than usual, at some point but I'm not sure if it was Mavericks-related.

Noting that my boot took 1:30 minutes, I searched around and found this article which explained about rebuilding kernel extension caches.

The safe mode thing didn't do anything noticable, but my boot is now down to 1:00 usable after rebuilding kernel extension caches. Which is a 33% gain in time!

I'm gonna try ElectriSheep's update_ thing (and cache clearing with Onyx) when I get home tonight to see if that also might help things any further. My current 1 minute boot-to-use isn't bad tho.

14. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Tried the safe mode and kernel methods. My computer boots super fast now for sure! Apps take essentially the same time unfortunately. May try onyx tonight.

15. SFBayGirl macrumors newbie

Great Tip!

Great tip. I went through a lot of drama with the upgrade of my MacBook Pro Early 2011. After re-imaging; I transferred files from my Time Machine backup and my boot time went to 12 minutes. After reading your post, I gave your Safe Mode tip a try and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip. Mavericks drama over :)

16. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Im downgrading from Mavs to Lion tonight. Reason why Im going to Lion is because not only can I not stand the sluggishness of Mavs on my Mac but Lion is reliable and fast.

17. ultraspiracle macrumors member

Interesting. Mine shipped with Lion also (Mid 2012). Stable. Fast. Let us know how it works in comparison.

18. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Warning though: I just came back to Lion and I cant reinstall iLife apps because the App Store has the 2013 version and they aren't compatible with Lion or ML.

So now I'm going to find a way to reinstall iLife '11