Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jta98z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Just got a brand new macbook pro. Loving it so far. I did notice however that it seems like the automatic backlight may not be working properly. When I first got it and turned it on the keyboard lit up. I did not need it lit as I was in a lit room so I turned it down. Later that night I took it to my bed in pitch black and the keyboard did not light up on its own. When I put my hand over the light sensor it does not light up. When you change the brightness manually once does it somehow mess up the automatic function?

Any help is appreciated.

fryday444

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
Just got a brand new macbook pro. Loving it so far. I did notice however that it seems like the automatic backlight may not be working properly. When I first got it and turned it on the keyboard lit up. I did not need it lit as I was in a lit room so I turned it down. Later that night I took it to my bed in pitch black and the keyboard did not light up on its own. When I put my hand over the light sensor it does not light up. When you change the brightness manually once does it somehow mess up the automatic function?

Any help is appreciated.

Did you turn it down all the way? Try turning it back up :)

jta98z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Did you turn it down all the way? Try turning it back up :)

I turned it back up when I was in my bed with it. When I was done using it I turned the computer off. It was on the lowest setting when i turned it off. Turned it on this morning in a brightly lit room and it was raging bright.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
depending on how bright the room is, it will either set the keyboard up very bright or disable it. it all depends on what the light sensor detects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.