2011 Macbook Pro Or 2011 27' iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ThisIsMe, Apr 16, 2012.

1. ThisIsMe macrumors regular

I need your help witch one should I buy base model 2011 13' macbook pro or 27' iMac? I do a lot of video editing and I use final cut pro to edit 1080p video from my dslr. I also have the ipad 3 witch I believe I could use that to take with me whenever I need something portable. So please help me out with your thoughts and opinions.

2. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

3. simsaladimbamba

The 27" has much more screen real estate and is much more powerful than the 13" MBP.
    And as video editing is CPU and GPU intensive, depending on the application, the iMac might be better suited for your needs, though the MacBook will be capable of editing 1080p video too, just slower (transcoding or playback) and with less space for timeline and monitor and all the sections of FCP X.

4. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Definitely the iMac. You'll need that screen real estate!

5. All Taken macrumors 6502a

27" iMac or 13" refurbished Macbook Pro with a 27" thunderbolt display :D

6. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Im going to break rank here and say MBP. I have both the MBP and iMac and I use my MBP 95% of the time. I even bought a desk and monitor to hook up my MBP in the bedroom so I wouldn't have to walk downstairs to my home office. The iMac is great but there is nothing like the power and portability of the MBP. Since your comparing the 27" iMac and 13" MBP I would recommend the dual core i7 for the MBP its got plenty of punch and power under the hood to really get the job done on the move. MBP all the way.

7. Dr FranknFurter macrumors member

8. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Yes, I like it. Why compromise just get them both lol

9. plucky duck macrumors 6502

iMac for practicality, unless you value portability more.

10. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Well now that's a bit unfair comparison. I mean 13" MBP and 27" iMac has a slight price point difference. Might be more fair if you compare between 13" MBP and 21.5" iMac.

However, if you insist. It's iMac hands down. When you buy a laptop, you also pay for portability tax. And that's done by trading off performance. I don't want that. I already had a basic 11" MBA whenever I need computing on the go. But my main computer is the iMac. Better own an iMac as the ONLY computer compared to the other way around.

11. lamboman macrumors 6502

You need to chose whether you need a portable machine or not. If you don't, it's the iMac straight away. Otherwise, I'd actually suggest a 15" MBP (high-res display) and an external display from the likes of Dell or HP.