2011 Macbook Pro or iMac and 2008 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MattZani, May 22, 2011.

1. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I'm going to University in September this year, to do a Photography Degree. My 2008 MacBook Pro (see sig) is 3 years old next month, and I am looking to replace it.

Either with the November 2011 MacBook Pro (Hoping for a redesign ;)), 15" higher spec model, with the high res glossy screen.

OR

Latest iMac (would wait for the next gen) 27" Processor and GPU bumped (Basing this on current iMac/MBP, prices are within £7) and keep my current MBP, possibly replace the Disc Drive with an SSD, it doesn't work anyway. With this could get an adaptor to use the iMac as a screen for PS3.

I can't decide whether it would be better to have 1 less powerful machine, or 1 powerful desktop and a less powerful portable machine. I wouldn't be able to afford a display to attach the MBP at first, definitely not an IPS screen like the iMacs.

I know its a bit pre-mature, but it has been playing on my mind for a while, as you can imagine :p Gonna get some shiny new Apple toys!! :D

Anyway, what would you do? Or maybe did? I would love to hear your opinions.

2. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

I'd go for the MBP. That's very powerful and portable. Also don't hold your breath for a redesign. More than likely it will be 2012 for that to appear.