2011 macbook pro owners regret your purchase?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, Mar 6, 2011.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

any 2011 new macbook pro owners regretting their purchases? would you rather of purchased a macbook air (the future of the notebook) or ipad? it is the post pc world. what will become of the macbook pro in 2012?

2. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

no, no, who knows?

3. Filipek macrumors member

No definitely not, my first Apple computer ever and I am very happy with it...

I find the macbook air to be a women laptop, don't know why....

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It'll probably get upgrades, just like every other computer line.

This "post pc world" you speak of - you mean one without personal computers? Because you still need a computer to use your iOS device, you know. :p Don't hold your breath for those to go away, not everyone's needs are met by an iOS device or a MBA.

5. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I'm not regretting it coming from a 2 year old Macbook Pro. It's definitely much faster and boots in about 25 seconds.

6. phinsup macrumors 6502

phinsup

Nope i love this thing. Much lighter then my 17, does everything my 17 did and then some. Very happy.

7. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

mbp is the truck. most people will drive cars (ipad or macbook air). we are entering the post pc era.

is this marketing: post pc world/macbook is the future of the notebook?

8. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

what?

9. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

10. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

11. jlw2387 macrumors member

I would say that desktops are trucks, laptops are cars and tablets are motorcycles.

We are still far away from a "post PC" world. We may have some post PC devices, but at the moment they are still secondary devices.

12. snouter macrumors 6502a

Yes, so, there are two distinct markets there.

Media consumers (who will partake in light production tasks) will be happy to use an Air or iPad/tablet or phone.

Media producers who already know that they will need the extra power of a desktop or full laptop.

For the user who wants to research, surf, write papers and upload phone video, they will be fine in the former camp.

For the user who hopes to work on longer form video shot on full HD cameras and integrate some 3d or After Effects, they will gravitate towards the latter camp.

Some people fall in the middle, and they won't be stranded by either choice. You could code or produce websites on an Air or a MBP with some trade offs going both ways - weight, performance, screen resolution, storage.

More than ever, there is a need to determine what you really want to do with the laptop. I have a 17" MBP and a 11.6" Air. I use them completely differently. I have an Android phone which I use differently from either of my laptops.

The market that is really under threat is the cheap desktop. There is just not that much of a need for the cheap desktop anymore, but even Best Buy has been emphasizing the laptop over the desktop for maybe 10 years now?

This post-PC world is nothing new, it's just that there are finally real options for the post PC user beyond the Blackberry and the fail that was the netbook.

13. snouter macrumors 6502a

Agree.

Although, the truck car motorcycle thing makes no sense. Trucks have surged in popularity. In my city, Trucks and SUVs are still EVERYWHERE and Crossovers are the new thing. You'd be an idiot to ride a motorcycle in this town since the trucks will kill you and the potholes will bounce you into the telephone pole or a wet steel plate will put you on your butt. I sold my motorcycle in 1997 and never looked back. But I get what the analogy you are trying to make, it just doesn't really fit.

Are motorcycles the future? Maybe in Vietnam. Not in suburban America.

14. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

The new Apple marketing buzzword (Post-PC).

LOL!

Until we can mind-meld with our devices thereby replacing a *real* keyboard with tactile feedback... ain't gonna happen.

Sent from my iPhone. (It only took me 20 minutes and now I'm blind).

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Not necessarily. I've shot video on my iPhone or digital camera that I later edited on my Mac. That screen is way too tiny for me to want to use it for video editing.

Seriously, there are people out there who would rather use a phone or iPad to write a paper? :eek:

Last time I wrote a paper it ended up being about 20 pages. No chance in hell I'd do that on anything but a "real" (non-handheld) computer.

Best Buy is just responding to the market - it's only been about five years since demand for portables has surpassed demand for desktops, and Best Buy sells products accordingly, just like Apple and every other retailer.

16. snouter macrumors 6502a

Don't miss the forest for the trees. The Sony X, S and MBP Air and even MBP 13" are in this former category. You are right in that the "Post-PC" world would further break this down into ultra portable and mobile but I was going for simplicity by lumping the two together. Nowhere did I imply that anyone would write a 20 page paper on a phone. Although you could use a wireless keyboard and an iPad, although I have no idea if Pages for iPad is sophisticated enough to do footnotes properly.

Uh, yeah? I think Best Buy actually was ahead of the trend though, although not for altruistic reasons. Laptops are easier to display and go obsolete faster - requiring a new purchase. They also had better margins.

17. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I think the only laptop that might not be relevant anymore is the MacBook.

I think all MacBook users could get away with a MBA.

MBP is meant to be a powerhouse laptop. Will always be this way.

18. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

No, even though my first 2011 MBP arrived dead, I'm still very happy with the upgrade.

My reasons:

2009 to 2010 was just a speed bump. True, the iCore was a new architecture but that was truly the only change. The nVidia 320 was minor given the rest of the market. Even the memory type didn't change.

2010 to 2011 showed a number of big improvement for Apple that I felt truly put them back in the high-end market. Dumping Dual Core for Quad Core was a big step. While many apps may not take advantage of it not, developers are now on alert of where Apple is going with their choice of CPUs. Multithreaded, MultiCore Apps are coming down the pipe. I can't wait for a true MT/MC VMware upgrade since I use VMs often.

The switch in GPUs is a death knell for nVidia cards on older MBPs. While they will still work fine, the amount of time Apple is going to put towards the drivers and optimizing them is minimal. The AMD GPU is much more powerful than nVidia so I think we'll see improvements here.

Thunderbolt was a great addition. The tortoise like performance of USB 2.x had many people ready to slit their wrists when transferring larges amount of data. While FW800 was better than USB 2.x, it clearly was pokey compared to USB 3 and eSata. Thunderbolt offers some great advances. I am personally looking forward to getting an external HD with Thunderbolt for backups.

I still think 4 Gig of memory is insane for a notebook in 2011 but the price to upgrade is fairly cheap and with the additions I can easily forget about it.

I think the 2011 was a great upgrade and I think offers some interesting hints to the future.

I think Lion will be MT/MC aware for better distribution of resources and a better job handler in the kernel.

Thunderbolt will be better tied to Lion and iOS in the future as well.

If you bought a 2011 system, I think you can sooth any buyer's remorse by looking towards the future. The 2011 should run Lion quite well.

Cheers!
    -P

19. jlw2387 macrumors member

Im speaking in the most basic sense here. Don't overthink it. Truck & Desktop - Utilitarian. Car & Laptop - good for most peoples needs. Motorcycle & Tablet - light and portable, but you still need a car for rainy days. Get it?

20. snouter macrumors 6502a

True. The resolution on the 13" Air is even superior, which is a trade off I would make over the CPU in that segment. At that price point though, the price difference of even a couple few hundred dollars is pretty significant though which still makes the Air a little bit luxurious.

21. snouter macrumors 6502a

I said I got it. I just think it's a forced fit. We are all familiar enough with computers to forgo the analogy which does not serve to clarify in this case. /coffee

22. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

No, I don't agree with that - MBP's and MBA's are "real" computers. The user has control of the content, organization, etc. of everything on it. They're expandable (external input and output devices). They're upgradeable. That can't be said of a tablet, in particular not Apple's.

Writing a paper is a task better suited to a computer, not an iOS device. Sure, it can be done on a tablet, but it's more headache than it's worth.

You have it backwards.

Laptops aren't outselling desktops because retailers are pushing them harder; retailers are selling more of them because there's greater demand for them. Best Buy isn't ahead of anything in this regard; retailers respond to customer demand, they don't create it.

23. snouter, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

snouter macrumors 6502a

Of course they are real computers. People go for them for their perceived small form factor and lower price. Again, a proper discussion would break 11" and 13" laptops away from phones and tablets.

Other tablets do or will offer more expandability with bluetooth, USB and HDMI. If we can't write a 20 page paper on a tablet yet, it's more of a software issue than hardware.

Consumers have always wanted laptops. They use to have severe performance limitations and much higher prices. I can't remember the last time desktops took center stage at Best Buy or Circuit City and that is more than 5 years ago. The desktops have been against the back wall forever now. If even for sexy reasons. You want a laptop, but here, settle for a desktop.

I don't buy the respond argument either. Sure people "wanted" SUVs but it helped that advertising was making them seem like the right choice for a family and the Big three also knew that the margins were SEVERAL times higher on frame based SUVs than with unibody cars. If you don't think demand is created, you need to reconsider that.

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It's simple economics - demand is not a function of supply. The only relationship between the two is that price is a function of both supply and demand, but the two are not dependent on each other.

25. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

LOL, up until a couple of years ago, trucks actually sold more than cars every month in America.