2011 MacBook Pro: pixelated bar after board replaced?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eyeseeyou, Nov 16, 2016.

1. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

IMG_0401.JPG Bare with me but basically after having the logic board replaced through the apple recall for these MacBooks I got a bunch of new issues with my macbook. Here's the details..

Recently had an issue where my early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" would intermittently, never at the Genius Bar, get a pink screen and freeze up.

Although it passed the video card test after my second visit they decided to fix it. I thought it was a video card that was replaced but the invoice said logic board.

Anyhow.

After getting my macbook back I immediately noticed that when restarting it, when the start up screen appeared a pixelated bar appeared closed to the top. It eventually loaded no big deal.

The second thing I noticed was a X where the battery icon was on the menu bar and the macbook wouldn't stay on without it being connected to the charger. After doing some research and resetting the pram and smc it seemed to temporarily fix the issue. I checked the health of the battery and it was fine and charged up fine.

While recharging I noticed the battery icon would randomly have an x appear then disappear and eventually the macbook would only stay on when plugged in.

One additional issue I discovered is that after resetting the smc my macbook would no longer go to sleep when closed.

Before getting the logic board replaced the only issue I had was the intermittent pink screen lock up that really didn't happen that much.

To those of you who've had the logic board replaced did it fix the pixelated bar? I suspect either a bad logic board was installed or just a bad installation. I have an appointment at the apple bar tomorrow but am afraid the issue won't be reproduced or the issue won't show up in their tests.

2. littlepud macrumors regular

GPU-gate. No matter how many times you get it fixed, the 2011 dGPUs will die again within a few months.

If you're somehow still in warranty / AppleCare / repair extension, you can try pressuring Apple (you might get a new machine after 3 repairs for the same issue).

The only other permanent fix (out of warranty, of course) is to have a 3rd party reflow the dGPU with leaded solder.

3. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68000

The recall has been extended until the end of December. This will be attempt # 2. Would be awesome if they just replaced it with something newer/issue free.

Funny thing is this macbook has been running smooth like a champ for the last 3-4 years. Never had this many problems until the logic board was replaced.

4. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68000

Just got back from the Genius Bar, some interesting take always:

• Apple does not take any responsibility for work that is done by shops listed on the Apple site as authorized third party Apple shops
    • Even though they no longer sell apple battery's for my macbook they're going to use one to confirm whether or not is issue is because of a 3rd party battery.
    • The pixel bar is suppsoed a known bug with sierra?
    Guess I'll find out in a couple days if they'll help me out.