Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rebecca Abi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
Hi all,
I’m hoping to get some more insight about my MacBook Pro problems. So my MacBook is a 2011 model and I use it for basic day to day things, nothing crazy.
I maxed out the ram and memory in 2012. She’s still in great shape. No physical damages. No history of crashing.

Currently my MacBook is running so slow, heating up quickly while running software and I believe the fan is working over time to compensate for the heat. Also all my Applications take a while to open.

I love my MacBook Pro and I really don’t want a new one.

From what I’ve read so far, I should switch to a SSD. Any other suggestions or responses as to what I should look for?

Please and thank you!

Reactions: MBP_187

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
Which OS version are you on? Recent iterations of macOS are not really suitable to be run from traditional spinning drives, which could easily explain the slowdowns you are experiencing.

In any case, yes, upgrading to an SSD is the most essential step to prolong the life of an old MBP. The difference will be like night and day.

slam5

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
Hi all,
I’m hoping to get some more insight about my MacBook Pro problems. So my MacBook is a 2011 model and I use it for basic day to day things, nothing crazy.
I maxed out the ram and memory in 2012. She’s still in great shape. No physical damages. No history of crashing.

Currently my MacBook is running so slow, heating up quickly while running software and I believe the fan is working over time to compensate for the heat. Also all my Applications take a while to open.

From what I’ve read so far, I should switch to a SSD. Any other suggestions or responses as to what I should look for?

Please and thank you!

May I ask the spec of your MacBook Pro? If you have an 15” i7 processor with discrete video then I have some bad news. There is a known defect in the design and manufacturing of that model and will cost the system board to self destruct and there is no permanent fix for it. Apple had a protect recall a few years ago but it had long been finished. This doesn’t happens on 13” or i5 15” MacBook Pro. Just the i7 ones.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
I own a 2011 15", and I picked up a brand new 13" yesterday. The 15" still runs ok, but this new one is definitely a nice upgrade. The performance in my 15" was massively improved with a SSD however - did that a few years ago.

As others have stated, replacing the thermal paste may not be a bad way forward...you might want to give the fans a nice cleaning as well.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Hi all,

Please and thank you!

The 2018 models will be a huge upgrade from a 2011 even for basic daily stuff. You’ll get a quad core i5 which will really speed things up.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
The 2018 models will be a huge upgrade from a 2011 even for basic daily stuff. You’ll get a quad core i5 which will really speed things up.

The corei7 2011 already have 4 cores. CPU wise it’s not an earth shattering difference, 25-30%.

Reactions: tubeexperience

YsoSerious

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
I don’t know about buying MBP right now. Just sold mine after the LCD cracked for no apparent reason (Google it it’s a known problem). Now the keyboards are going out! After spending 700+ to fix a 2800+ laptop in which previous versions I’ve owned never had lcd problems with. I sold it. I’m going windows for now to get work done until Apple fixes things and am comfortable in purchasing another MBP

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you still have the original platter-based hard drive, installing an SSD will breathe "new life" into it -- probably extend its usability for a couple more years.

If you already installed RAM, you know how to take the back off.
Changing the drive is easy after that.

DON'T spend a lot of money for "the fastest" SSD.
Almost any one will do.
I like Crucial and Sandisk.

Buy a USB3/SATA adapter/dongle like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-...478&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=sabremt+usb3+to+ssd

You can use it to "prep and test" the new SSD BEFORE you actually open the MBP to install it.
Then, use it for the old HDD afterwards, for extra storage or as a backup.

Be sure to use the right tools:
- Phillips #00 driver
- TORX T-6 driver

Final thoughts:
I -WOULD NOT BUY- a 2017 MacBook Pro, because of the keyboard problems.
Try to hold out for a "2018" (if one is released), or even a 2019 model if you can wait that long.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
And lastly, upgrades are very limited in anything after 2012 Retina. The 2013,2014,2015,2016,2017 don't offer memory upgrades and pretty much you are stuck with that, what you have. I have a 2011 15 inch and so far my system is running nicely. I also got a 1TB ssd for a good price of 250.00. Just up'ed it to 16GB 1600mhz memory. Never had the graphics issue.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I have a late 2011 15 inch MacBook Pro i7 that runs great, a few years ago I thought it was dead when it started taking 10 minutes to boot up, added an SSD and the thing was like a new computer. Im still running on 4 gb of memory and would really like to upgrade it but I haven't had much need. I did have a problem with a swollen battery so keep an eye on it as it gets older. Im also disappointed that it won't run Mojave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.