2011 Macbook Pro - Squeaky Keys

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mastaofdisasta, May 13, 2011.

1. mastaofdisasta macrumors member

I have a month old 2011 Macbook Pro. I love everything about it, except for a few keys on the keyboard that tends to squeak when you hit it. I know that I sound a little nitpickish, but it tends to get a tad bit on the annoying side, especially when you're in a quiet area.

Has anyone ever had this problem? If so, did you take it to the Apple store and were the geniuses able to fix it? Is it easy enough to make it a do-it-yourself project? Love to get your experiences and viewpoints on the situation. Thanks in advance!

2. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

While I haven't heard of this happening before, nor have I encountered it myself, I would recommend dropping by a Genius Bar or an Apple Authorized Service Provider if it's really bothering you.

I wouldn't recommend trying to disassemble the keyboard on your MacBook Pro as you risk damaging it and voiding your warranty as well.

3. mac00l macrumors 6502

I have the same issue with the space bar key. It gets really annoying when fast-typing.

I will absolutely drop it by an Apple store, just waiting for an open window in my time to do so.

4. azdmelani macrumors member

I just got my macbook pro Friday, and am having the squeaky keyboard issue when i hit it with my right thumb. Just happened all of a sudden. Anyone get this fixed at the apple store?

5. tbln macrumors newbie

I had a squeaky spacebar when I first got my MBP in 2009. I brought it into the apple store and they replaced the spacebar key in two minutes without a fuss.

6. Holycannoli, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012

Holycannoli macrumors newbie

How to fix squeaky keys on MacBook Pro

I encountered the same problem. My up arrow was squeaky and sometimes would stay down. Here's how I fixed the squeaky key problem on my MacBook Pro. You do not have to power down your laptop being that you're working only with the sticky key.

1. Using a plastic knife or wedge tool (I used the one that comes in the Newer Technology 12-piece tool kit), I carefully pried the top left corner of the key and slowly lifted the key in a clockwise direction until it popped off.

2. Below it you'll find two white pieces that fit into each other. Take pictures along the way so you remember the way the pieces all fit. In the middle of the pieces are two plastic joints that allow the key to flex up and down. Gently remove the two pieces.

3. Carefully remove the levered pieces. Observe for any excess plastic on the joints that was left behind at the factory that may cause one or the other of the pieces to be longer thereby causing excess friction and sticking which is the source of the squeak.

4. With an Exacto knife, gently sculpt the piece so the joints are identical.

5. Reassemble in reverse order. Place the black key over the white pieces and gently roll in a circular motion for it to snap into place.

The squeaky and/or sticky key problem should be fixed.

I don't know if this would work for the longer keys like the Space bar. I'll post a video of the process later.

Hope this helps you resolve your problem.