2011 MACBOOK PRO- SSD no boot improvement.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tcampbell011, Mar 6, 2011.

1. tcampbell011 macrumors newbie

First of all, I am new the these forums and fairly new to mac.

So I just picked up my new 2011 15" macbook pro the other day, its the 2.2ghz i7, 750gb harddrive one. I took out the superdrive and put the stock HDD in its place, then I added an intel SSD.

Everything is working great, except that the boot time hasn't really improved at all. It takes about 30seconds to a minute to boot to the desktop. Also I have noticed that it lags a bit when waking up from sleep. For instance, when I open up the lid I count 7 seconds before the screen turns on. I have already turned off "safe-sleep" to stop data written to the HDD every time it sleeps. Is there some other settings that I am missing?

(the SSD is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and is set as the startup disk)

Thanks in advance

2. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Did you install the OS to the SSD from scratch as a clean install or did you use something like Super Duper etc... to copy the OS from the original drive....?

3. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

The first boot after installation always takes longer.

4. tcampbell011 thread starter macrumors newbie

ssd

I booted off the snow leopard DVD and did a clean install to the SSD. Its been a couple days since and i've booted it a couple times.

5. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Having a drive in the optibay causes the computer to get a little confused I believe. When I installed the optibay in my last MBP, the boot time actually increased (when booting from the SSD). Make sure you have the SSD selected as your boot drive, and just leave it alone for a while. After about 2 weeks of longer boot times, one day it cut to about a third of the time. Just give it some time.

6. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

I'm wondering what you did with the HD? Did you wipe it clean, it doesn't still have OS on it does it?

7. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I've had a couple SSD's in my MBP with optibay HDD and it's always been killer fast boots. I was going to say do a clean install but it looks like that's what the OP did.

8. benpatient macrumors 68000

aznguyen, I have the EXACT same config on my new 15".

Except my SSD is being delivered tomorrow, so it's not in the machine yet.

I was going to wait for it, but it was taking too long. Also, I guess it's slightly different because I went with the OWC SSD instead. Did you go to 8GB of RAM or leave it at 4?

To the OP, the first time I started up my new 15" after running software update, it took about 90-120 seconds to get to the desktop and be usable.

It always takes longer the first time you boot after a big change.

I suggest you turn it off, and then turn it back on without having installed anything, and you'll see a difference.

9. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

^ 8GB ram mang! and the OWC is basically the same as the Vertex 2 from what I've read. Both use the SF1200 which rocks for OSX.