2011 Macbook Pro SSD Suggestions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Elven, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I really think you folks are just splitting hairs arguing over which drive is best. Unless OP is making the next Pixar movie on that laptop or running synthetic benchmark tests, you can literally close your eyes, walk into the electronics store and grab any SSD on the shelf and it will work just fine. I happen to prefer Samsung or Crucial because they are widely available, but there is nothing wrong with most of the other major brands either. This whole thing is a bit like arguing if Ford or Chevrolet trucks are better. It just does not matter. Just find the size you need and grab whatever you can get the best price on.

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Mostly agreed. There are outliers, though, which will be noticeably slower in usage. Crucial BX200 and Toshiba Q300 especially come to mind.

3. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

To be quite honest, I've been using this SSD from Silicon Power and it's been running fantastic ... for games ... media applications ... whatever. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820301255

And it's only 120 bucks for 480 gigs. The 960 gig is 230 bucks. Very good price.

4. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

I've never heard of Silicon Power before, but a lot of SSDs out there are just rebadge of something else.

There are only 6 NAND manufacturers out there: Intel, Micron (Crucial), SK Hynix, Samsung, SanDisk and Toshiba.

If it's not from one of those brands, it's just a rebadge.

5. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

Cheers for this thread.

After the new 2016 MBP debacle, I've been going back and forth on what to do (maybe get a 2015 MBP etc).

In the end, decided to upgrade my 2011 15" MBP. Just found an amazing deal on an 850 PRO 1TB SSD.

Also thinking about getting Apple to officially replace my battery, it's in the 900 area for cycle count but been giving problems for a couple of years tbh (if anyone has recommendations?).