2011 macbook pro SSD update and optibay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by riveting, Jun 21, 2012.

1. riveting macrumors 6502

Hello,

I just ordered a refurbished early 2011 13inch MBP, it is my first mac (even though my wife has gone through two macbook air already). I have an 120G intel 320 SSD running on my old laptop. I am thinking about putting it in the new MBP.

Now I'v heard that you can put both SSD (as a boot drive) and the original HD in the macbook pro, I am just have two questions:

1. What adapter do I need to buy? I heard about optibay, however, I am in Canada, and if I buy from the store in states, I would have to add expensive shipping, tax and brokage fee on top of that, making it expensive. I search on ebay, there is lots of general optibay product that only cost about $15 including shipping. Would purchasing one of them work? Does the performance depends on which optibay adapter you buy?

2. Should I put SSD in the optibay for boot drive, or should I do it the other way around by putting SSD in original HD place, and move the HD to optibay?

2. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I've read somewhere that some people have issues putting the boot drive in the optibay and then waking up from sleep. I can't confirm this since I don't even have an ssd yet.

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

marked for later. My 2011 refurb is coming Saturday. SSD and optibay will be here tomorrow.

4. riveting thread starter macrumors 6502

5. riveting thread starter macrumors 6502

Another question, does removing optical bay for a second drive void warranty?

6. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

1. Personally, I would go with the OWC Data Doubler. It's expensive but it just works. Many others have had success with brackets found on eBay and Amazon. Some required minor adjustments such as shaving off certain areas or the holes did not line up.

2. Put the SSD in the main bay and the old HDD in the optibay.

3. Yes, it voids warranty. Keep the ODD in case you have to take your MBP in for service. You can restore to stock configuration before requesting service.