2011 MacBook Pro: Surprised at how much the battery drains in sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeff_siler, Mar 11, 2011.

1. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have a brand new 13" i5 2011 MacBook pro. In two separate tests i've charged it to full unplugged the ac adapter and shut the lid. After 48 hours I open the lid and see 40% remaining. I know there are apps like smartsleep or deepsleep that can force a hibernate instead of sleep to ram, but seriously apple this is 2011.

Anyone else notice this?

2. mike2732 macrumors member

In what realistic scenario would you leave a laptop in sleep for 48 hours?

Anyway I don't know if that's normal since I don't have a MBP yet, plan to soon.

3. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

In my bag.

4. mike2732 macrumors member

Here's how I look at it. From day to day you shutdown the computer. But during the day you let it sleep. Best of both worlds, only have to cold boot it once a day.

5. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Good point, although doesn't really help us here ;)

I wouldn't know either, but having come from a 13" MBP, for periods in which i did leave it on standby for, not as long as 48 hours, but maybe overnight, the battery would go from 100-93%. Dropping to 40% might seem excessive but it probably is not.

Remember power has to be given to the ram in order to keep the contents of the drive intact. With smartsleep you can force hibernation, but outside of that I don't know much about it.

6. -Ken- macrumors regular

I'd never let a computer sleep that long, not an issue IMO.

7. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok I'm glad it is not a hardware issue just a usability workflow. I'll make sure to shut it down before placing in my bag.

8. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

So base on your figure

100% battery can be used

Sleep: 80 hours
    Use: 7-8 hours

I think sleeping consumes 1/10 the juice it does on normal usage is fair don't you think?

I never power off the my 2010 MBP unless I have to. When I finish working, I just close it right down, put it right into my bag (thanks to disabling safe sleep, the hard drive stop spinning the second I close the lid), then when I need to work, I just open it up and get right to work. Just love it.

9. sjatkins macrumors newbie

No freaking way. It should consume more like 1% at most as all it needs is a trickle of juice to keep the ram hot and detect wakeup conditions.

I think a recent OS upgrade may be making this worse again. I am on 10.6.7 running on a 11 inch MB Air. Of late from 7pm when it goes into the bag to about 10 am the next day drains the battery to about 8% left. That is crazy making.

10. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I routinely do this with my 2011 2.3 i7, just as I did with my 2008 2.4 C2D. I would close the MBP on Friday afternoon after work and sometimes never touch it again until Monday morning for work again. I have never had mine dead and the worst I have seen is around 40-50% on Monday morning (depending on how much I left open when I shut the cover, shouldn't make much or a difference but for some reason it did, drained more with VMware left open). On the flip side, I have seen it be as high as 93% remaining when I opened it on Monday. I never shut my computer down unless a restart is required. Some will say it isn't good for it, but I have operated this way for years and will continue to for more to come. The sleep ability and battery retention is exactly why I purchased a MBP in the first place. For me it is a tool and I use it as such.

11. jondob macrumors member

If you're going to not use it for 48 hours then shut it down... Simple.. Man you people complain about the dumbest things.

12. TPadden macrumors 6502a

When I travel (motorcycle camping) my MBA often sleeps for 2 or 3 days, and has for as much as 4, with plenty of juice left when I needed it. :D

It isn't an issue when you accept the fact that in your case either you can't or you don't want it to ;). It's the primary reason I went the MBAir route .....

13. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

With a MBA, you could also boot it up in mere seconds ... Damn MBA optimized SSD

14. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Only reason to do that is to run ....... gasp ..... Damn Bootcamp Windows .....:eek:

15. 73CortinaV8 macrumors 6502

I often leave my work laptop asleep in the bag for the entire weekend. Sometimes up to 72hrs

I would expect at least a week of battery life out of sleep (not hibernate) - that's what my 4 year old thinkpad could do.

16. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Meh after using a lot of old computers and owning SSDs I shut down mostly anyway as it is only slower by ~10 seconds.

17. iMackPro macrumors 6502

GGJ posted something somewhere that said your battery should lose exactly 1% per hour that its in sleep.

And are you closing all of your apps while you do this? or at least the big ones?

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not exact, but approximate. The statement by Apple is included in the Apple Notebook Battery FAQ