Price Advice 2011 macbook pro value?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by argo063, Jul 9, 2012.

1. argo063 macrumors member

Hey People
    I got a top of the range 2011 macbook pro. 15 inch.

Specs.
    2.2 i7
    8 GB of ram
    AMD Radeon HD 6759M 1024MB
    Loin

How much would it be worth to sell?

thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge. Then adjust your price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

3. argo063 thread starter macrumors member

thanks people. $1,830 it says. Not bad. what do people think. Should i see it to get a imac?

4. trikky macrumors regular

It's not what anyone here thinks that matters. It's what you can get for it in the resale market, and how much you're prepared to accept for it that matters. If no-one is prepared to offer you $1830 for it, then it's not worth that much.

If you want an iMac, then the answer is a resounding "yes". If you don't want an iMac, then the answer is "no". If you're indifferent, then the answer is "ask your mummy".

Do what YOU feel you need to do. It's silly asking complete strangers what they think you should do, because everyone has a different situation.

Good luck.

5. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Mac2Sell is giving off numbers for the 15" legacy MBP's right now. Too many used Macs are going into the market at the same time because of the Retina transition. This is basically killing the resale value on them. I've seen some just like yours go on eBay for around $1.2K, which is sad for such an expensive computer.

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

We are witnessing the rapid propagation of "Retina Madness".

While there's no question they're quite stunning, even more impressive is how Apple is luring buyers upmarket into very expensive laptops.

Now that the Apple faithful have bought into retina, hook line & sinker, anything less no matter the savings is shameful.

Apples expertise in marketing, their deft ability to influence people, combine to create a massive mob of buyers willing to part with as much money as it takes.

As a result, conventional MBP's & eventually MBA's resale values are dropping disproportionally compared to the past.

It's time for us to realign our expectations.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You won't get anywhere near that much in the US unless you find a stupid buyer, as that is more than Apple charges refurbished with a year warranty (and the refurbs are quite good). The late 2011 which could be argued as slightly inferior is $1359 in the Apple store. The one you have is $1529. It is arguably slightly better in a couple specs. GPU is a push. Late 2011 is a slightly better model but with less vram.

Yet Apple sells them for just a bit more than that, and of course the 3rd party retailers also have their own reduced pricing. Something new that people want came out and they're dumping these in much larger quantity than you'd see if it was a simple refresh + Apple has a long list of refurbished models. Even if the rMBP never came out, the $1800 ivy bridge version would outpace this one pushing its price down anyway. $1830 is just completely unrealistic unless your buyer doesn't know how to use google.

8. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Loin.. hmmmm... :D

Just busting your... loins!! :p

9. RVspidey macrumors member

Sold my "15 for 2000$ a week ago it was the high end

10. argo063 thread starter macrumors member

Oh ok kool. Where did you sell it

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0NM5LL/A

Your sale falls under the uneducated buyer scenario when Apple has the late 2011 with the high res antiglare option for $1829 (expect to see glossy options too). It has the most expensive upgrades. They charge less. Right now Amazon had the rMBP going for $2089 new. Obviously these come with warranties. I don't know if any warranty was left on yours. Your buyer paid too much, which is great for you. I guess used pricing could be different in some countries.

12. RVspidey macrumors member

might be a good idea to tell im from denmark, we pay A LOT more than you guys, an example is that the base retina model costs 2.199$, in denmark, it costs 3.095$

i bought the retina macbook pro with 2.6 / 16 / 768.. that is = 4537$ (with student discount) O_O

but hey, free medical threatment is always great! lol

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I mentioned the possible difference between country specific pricing, but this is a bigger market difference than I anticipated. Neither of you had specific countries listed in your profiles, so I didn't have much to go on. If the OP is in a place that follows US pricing, the figures I've mentioned will be more relevant.