2011 MacBook Pro - Will Apple let me swap my hard drive for SSD ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrwonkers, Apr 3, 2011.

1. mrwonkers, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

EDIT : Resolution...

Yes they did - thanks Apple

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

They can switch the HD for a new HD at least. You can try asking about the SSD and what would they charge for it.

3. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

No, I am afraid they won't allow you to exchange the HD for an SSD, even if you pay the 100$ difference.

Just maybe if you complain enough about having had a faulty HD, but normally Apple replaces faulty parts only with identical working parts.

4. mrwonkers thread starter macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Even though i'm within the return/exchange period and ordered a custom built machine ?
    I could understand on a standard config MBP that this would be the case.
    It would cost them more to ship/replace whole MBP than just a HDD.

fingers crossed...

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It doesn't make any sense to us but that is how it is. They may be able to upgrade it to an SSD but definitely not for 100$. It would most likely be dealt as normal hard drive upgrade so that would cost you a lot more.

Of course, you must ask to make sure. In the end, it is up to the rep you are dealing with.

6. mrwonkers thread starter macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Yeah they won't do it for $100 but they'll have to do it for $108

Screen shot 2011-04-03 at 6.09.20 PM.png

7. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

That's a steal.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That is if you buy it from the online store. If you take it to the Apple store, they will most likely tell you to buy it from the online store as well, if you want the 128GB SSD in it.

9. mrwonkers thread starter macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

I did buy my MacBook Pro from the online store [custom built machines in 2.2 config are only available through the online store] - what I was wanting to know was if anyone else who has purchased a custom built MBP has had any success with Apple allowing swapping of customisable parts within the 14 day return/exchange period without having to send the whole machine back.

specifically :

Has anyone had any experience with a simular scenario ?
    Will they insist on swapping the whole thing ? [would hate to get a replacement with problems as this machine is great except fot the busted HDD]

10. dgitalchaos, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011

dgitalchaos macrumors member

I was just on the phone with them yesterday. I pointed out that the hard drive was a user serviceable part and that's why they looked into it. They were able to upgrade my drive, free of charge since I was on the phone with them an hour and a half, and since I was calm and patient. They had me troubleshoot to make sure the drive was faulty, and I told them everything else was perfect except the drive.

Here's the catch:

They said in order for me to get the new part, they would have to put the full cost of the drive on hold (i.e. about $500 for the 128GB SSD). Once they receive the old drive, they will release the hold and not charge my account. They will only charge if I do not return the bad drive.

I hope this helps.

Edit: Attachment - I removed personal info from the image.

Attached Files: