2011 macbook pro won't sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nein01, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

my computer won't go to sleep on its own. it only sleeps when i manually click sleep from the apple menu bar or if i shut the lid.

i have called apple support numerous times and even taken my laptop into the apple store for help, but the problem persists. even after installing os 10.7 a week ago this is still happening. i have thought about it being application related (maybe smc fan control or gfxstatus) but i still have this problem on a test user account.

is anyone else having this problem or have any idea how to properly diagnose the issue? i am sick of calling apple; they don't seem to know how to help.

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Try going to System Preferences -> Energy Saver and check your settings there. Make sure "Put hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" is checked and the sliders are not at "never."

3. Nein01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nein01

check and check

i have always had my hdd set to sleep when possible and my cpu sleep settings set at 15 minutes.

i should also add that this problem seems to have a factor of randomness to it... sometimes my mbp might sleep after 30 minutes, or 3 hours, or sometimes never, when it is always set to sleep after 15 minutes.

4. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Reset PRAM?
    Hold CMD + Option + P + R before chime at boot up

I don't know what else to tell you, sorry :p

5. Nein01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nein01

already done that over the phone numerous times with apple geniuses...

but that's ok. hopefully someone else will have more insight.

6. kevincredible macrumors newbie

Do you have logmein installed? That caused my Pro to not sleep and unistalling resolved the issue

7. Nein01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nein01

i used to have remote tap installed but already thought of that a while back and uninstalled it, thinking that was the problem, but still won't sleep...

another client i used at one time was remoter vnc, but i can't seem to find any files related to that application to delete.

8. JB Tipton macrumors newbie

Rainy Day

Are you using WeatherBug? WeatherBug Mac prevents the MacBook Pro from sleeping. If you are very patient, it will go to sleep after a minute.

I reported this to them 2 years ago, but they were very nasty about it, and were adamant that they would not fix it. I don't know why. I've never encountered an attitude like that before. The implication was that there weren't enough Macs in the field for them to bother with.

I can prove it; I still have the e-mails.