Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyperskier96

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
I found my mistake from my previous kext edit, and this time I followed the step-by step guide precisely. But once I had restarted, nothing had changed. I was still not handoff supported according to system report, and no 'enable handoff' or whatever checkbox had appeared in system preferences. Has this whole process actually worked for anyone, and if so, please share your details.

Macbook Pro 13' inch early 2011 model. 4CAX chip installed. Running PB4

rob3r7o

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
User: dokterdok and I have been pming and he said last night that he figured out how to make it work. He said he was able to remove the 2011 MBA from the "blacklist" however I haven't heard back from him how he did it yet. He did say he would post his findings here once he wrote them up. So basically I'm patiently waiting to hear his findings.

Great, Great job!
Thank you for sharing

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Managed to get this working a bit more reliably/easily with these instructions I put together. Confirmed AirDrop 2.0 and Handoff working on 2011 MBP 17", with AirDrop 2.0 working on Mac mini, though not displaying an option to enable Handoff in System Preferences.

How to enable Handoff/AirDrop 2.0

Requires 0xED

1. Navigate to “/System/Library/Extensions”.

2. Backup & copy IO80211Family.kext to Desktop or elsewhere.

3. Show the package contents of IO80211Family.kext, navigate to, “Contents/Plugins”, delete AirPortBrcm4331.kext, then show package contents for AirPortBrcm4360.kext. Navigate again to “Contents/MacOS” and open AirPortBrcm4360 with 0xED

4. Search for “Mac-“ and note the first result. (Eg. Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F)

5. Open Terminal and enter in the following command:

ioreg -l | grep "board-id" | awk -F\" '{print $4}'

This should produce a result similar to the one above (Eg. Mac-9DHDJHASEKLF)

6. Using the search function in 0xED, use the “Replace All” option to replace the first result (Eg. Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F) with the board-id of your machine (Eg. Mac-9DHDJHASEKLF)

7. Click “Save” in 0xED and close.

8. Drag and drop your modified kext into the /System/Library/Extensions.

9. Open Terminal and enter in the following commands:

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

sudo chmod -R 744 /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

sudo kextcache -system-caches

diskutil repairPermissions /

10. Reboot your Mac, then open terminal and enter in the following command:

kextstat | grep AirPort

Confirm that you see something along the lines of “com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4360” and enjoy using Handoff/AirDrop 2.0.

ZeRoLiMiT

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
Southern California
nothing showing up here

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-04 at 11.42.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-04 at 11.42.17 PM.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 585

dokterdok

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
2011 MacBook Air and 2011 Mac Mini - Handoff Tutorial

Good news for 2011 MacBook Air and 2011 Mac mini owners, here's a refreshed tutorial that enables Continuity on those machines as well. No hardware upgrade is required on these Macs. Handoff, Instant Hotspot, and iOS↔OSX Airdrop now fully work. I've tested it with Yosemite GM (14A379a).

Update 23.10.2014: I've released a Continuity Activation Tool. No more painful manual hacking. Link.

Update 20.10.2014: UncleSchnitty has posted a complete, up-to-date guide with a more detailed tutorial and extra troubleshooting steps. Good stuff. I recommend you head over his post instead of mine if you want to give the tutorial a shot. Tip: carefully read the whole thing first, don't rush, and stick *exactly* to what is written.
The tutorial is built on top of previous great tutorials made by forum members mikecwest and Lem3ssie (thanks guys!).
The new steps basically disable a blacklist in the Bluetooth drivers.

TUTORIAL

1. Download and install 0xED in your Applications folder, you can get it from here:
http://www.suavetech.com/0xed/

2. Download and install KextDrop in your Applications folder, you can get it from here:
http://www.cindori.org/software/kextdrop/

3. Open Terminal and type :
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

4. Restart your machine.

5. Open Finder, type CMD+Shift+G and go to /System/Library/Extensions/

6. Copy the files below to your desktop and then delete the originals. Make an extra backup copy of the 2 files in a separate folder just in case.
Code:
IO80211Family.kext
IOBluetoothFamily.kext

7. Go to Terminal, and type: (exactly as below)
Code:
ioreg -l | grep "board-id" | awk -F\" '{print $4}'

8. Your result should look like : Mac-742912EFDBEE19B3, (yours might be different.). Copy it to your clipboard (Select and CMD+C). Don't close terminal yet.

9. Open Finder and hit CMD+Shift+G, go to ~/Desktop/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/MacOS
Note: if you have a different OS language, you might need to replace "Desktop" in the path with your local translation.

10. Right Click on AirPortBrcm4360, and choose OPEN WITH: OTHER: 0XED

11. Press CMD+F, search for "Mac-" (without the quotes). Make sure the search type is Text and not HEX.

12. Look at the first result, for example, it might be Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F

13. Go back to the FIND box, in the FIND field enter that first "Mac-" number that you found.

14. In the REPLACE field, enter the number you got in Terminal, (remember you left it open.)

15. Click REPLACE

16. Repeat steps 11 to 15, but this time for the last "Mac-" result that you can find in the file.

17. Click SAVE (the red circle button)

18. Open Finder and hit CMD+Shift+G to open the "Go to" popup, and go to ~/Desktop/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS

19. Right Click on IOBluetoothFamily, and choose OPEN WITH: OTHER: 0XED.

20. Press CMD+F.
In the SEARCH field type:
Code:
MacBookAir
Click FIND NEXT.

21. You will find a block of text containing
Code:
'MacBookAir4,1''MacBookAir4,2''Macmini5,1''Macmini5,2''Macmini5,3'
Manually replace the numbers with ones only so they all look like:
Code:
'MacBookAir1,1''MacBookAir1,1''Macmini1,1''Macmini1,1''Macmini1,1'
Important: Be careful not to add any character while doing the replacement.

22. Click SAVE (the red circle button) and quit 0xED.

23. Open KextDrop, and Drag and drop the IO80211Family.kext that you modified into the window.

24. Click INSTALL.

25. Repeat steps 23 and 24 but for your modified IOBluetoothFamily.kext

26. Go Back to Terminal, and type the following commands. Wait for each one to finish.

Code:
Code:

27. Reboot. Make sure you have an Internet connection for the next steps.

28. Go to > SYSTEM PREFERENCES> GENERAL, at the bottom click ENABLE HANDOFF.

29. Go to > SYSTEM PREFERENCES> ICLOUD, click on SIGN OUT.

30. On your iOS Device, go to SETTINGS> ICLOUD and SIGN OUT.

31. Restart your Mac and iOS device.

32. Go to > SYSTEM PREFERENCES> ICLOUD, and enter your credentials to sign in.

33. On your iOS Device, go to SETTINGS> ICLOUD and SIGN IN.

Edit: added more manual steps (steps 20 & 21)
Edit 2: clarified step 6 and intro, corrected typos
Edit 3: Updated website link

Last edited:

Lem3ssie

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
Because?

Worst case scenario is restoring the original kext.
Cause OSX loads 4360 and 4331 many times if you pay attention, don't know why, but it's been months now since I enjoy Handoff and Continuity, believe me or not, 4331 makes no arm and its deletion won't help you loading 4360 correctly.

venom466

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2014
Italy
18. Open Finder and hit CMD+Shift+G to open the "Go to" popup, and go to ~/Desktop/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/Contents/MacOS

19. Right Click on IOBluetoothFamily, and choose OPEN WITH: OTHER: 0XED

20. Press CMD+F.
In the SEARCH field type (with the single quotes):
Code:
[COLOR="green"]'MacBookAir4,1''MacBookAir5,2''Macmini5,1''Macmini5,2''Macmini5,3'[/COLOR]
In the REPLACE field, type:
Code:
[COLOR="green"]'MacBookAir1,1''MacBookAir1,1''Macmini1,1''Macmini1,1''Macmini1,1'[/COLOR]

21. Click REPLACE

22. Click SAVE (the red circle button) and quit 0xED

23. Open KextDrop, and Drag and drop the IO80211Family.kext that you modified into the window.

24. Click INSTALL.

25. Repeat steps 23 and 24 but for your modified IOBluetoothFamily.kext

26. Go Back to Terminal, and type the following commands. Wait for each one to finish.

Code:
Code:

27. Reboot. Make sure you have an Internet connection for the next steps.

28. Go to > SYSTEM PREFERENCE> GENERAL, at the bottom click ENABLE HANDOFF

29. Go to > SYSTEM PREFERENCE> ICLOUD, click on SIGN OUT.

30. On your iOS Device, go to SETTINGS> ICLOUD and SIGN OUT.

31. Restart your Mac and iOS device.

32. Go to > SYSTEM PREFERENCE> ICLOUD, and enter your credentials to sign in.

33. On your iOS Device, go to SETTINGS> ICLOUD and SIGN IN.
[url=http://i.imgur.com/zNF1hbr.png]Image[/URL]

First of all thanks for having rekindled my hopes :)
Maybe I'm wrong something on points from 18 to 20.

The first strange thing is that on my IOBluetoothFamily.kext is missing the second folder called "Contents" (maybe is just a typo) but I can find and edit the IOBluetoothFamily on the same path with one Contents folder.

After the editing of the "IOBluetoothFamily.kext " file with 0XED
Code:
[COLOR="green"]'MacBookAir4,1''MacBookAir5,2''Macmini5,1''Macmini5,2''Macmini5,3'[/COLOR]
Code:
[COLOR="green"]'MacBookAir1,1''MacBookAir1,1''Macmini1,1''Macmini1,1''Macmini1,1'[/COLOR]

I replace both kext files and run from terminal the commands
(Waiting for each one to finish.)

Code:

Code:

When the terminal finish to run a commands - I reboot the mac, and the Bluetooh is disabled....

Any ideas? what I'm wrong?

Last edited:

dokterdok

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
First of all thanks for having rekindled my hopes :)
Maybe I'm wrong something on points from 18 to 20.

The first strange thing is that on my IOBluetoothFamily.kext is missing the second folder called "Contents" (maybe is just a typo) but I can find and edit the IOBluetoothFamily on the same path with one Contents folder.

After the editing of the "IOBluetoothFamily.kext " file with 0XED
Code:
Code:

I replace both kext files and run from terminal the commands
(Waiting for each one to finish.)

Code:

Code:

When the terminal finish to run a commands - I reboot the mac, and the Bluetooh is disabled....

Any ideas? what I'm wrong?

Thanks for pointing out typos in steps 18 and 20, I've corrected them.
Something likely went wrong with the bluetooth driver. Could you please redo steps 18 to 26 and post the terminal outputs at the end? That way we can already spot if there's a permissions issue.
An extra step you can try is rebooting between steps 22 and 23 (you'll loose Wifi as well).

venom466

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2014
Italy
Something likely went wrong with the bluetooth driver. Could you please redo steps 18 to 26 and post the terminal outputs at the end? That way we can already spot if there's a permissions issue.
An extra step you can try is rebooting between steps 22 and 23 (you'll loose Wifi as well).

Ok I have repeated the steps on bluetooth, but I have seen that when I replace the lists of new MBA with the new list with MBA and Mac Mini, 0XED copy the text on the first line of the file, maybe the image could be explain better of my words :)

before replacement
http://imgur.com/sG3oTPh

after replacement
http://imgur.com/qAwGfqj

venom466

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2014
Italy
here the Terminal's results:

Password:

IOBluetoothHostControllerUARTTransport.kext has no Info.plist file.

JMicronATA.kext has no Info.plist file.

kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/WavTap.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load

kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/ssuddrv.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ssudserial.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load

kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/ssuddrv.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ssudmtp.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load

kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/ssuddrv.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ssudmdmdata.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load

kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/ssuddrv.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ssudmdmcontrol.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load

kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/ssuddrv.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load

kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/RIMBBUSB.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AirPortBrcm4360.kext

kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/BlackBerryVirtualPrivateNetwork.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load

/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext doesn't support architecture x86_64; omitting from prelinked kernel.

Can't use IOBluetoothFamily.kext - not linked.

Prelink failed for com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport; omitting from prelinked kernel.

Can't use IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext - not linked.

Prelink failed for com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport; omitting from prelinked kernel.

Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.IOBluetoothHIDDriver; omitting from prelinked kernel.

Can't use IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext - not linked.

Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothHIDMouse; omitting from prelinked kernel.

Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothHIDKeyboard; omitting from prelinked kernel.

Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch; omitting from prelinked kernel.

AND

if I try with your bluetooth kext modified?

venom466

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2014
Italy

mmm during the entire process i never losed the wifi......

the first command sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1" should disable also the wifi?

Lem3ssie

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
mmm during the entire process i never losed the wifi......

the first command sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1" should disable also the wifi?

Cause you don't understand why you should have lost wifi, it's a matter of rebooting at a time that the driver has been deleted, which didn't happened in this tutorial, it has been replaced.

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1" just prevents Yosemite from not loading a modified .kext.

venom466

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2014
Italy
Cause you don't understand why you should have lost wifi, it's a matter of rebooting at a time that the driver has been deleted, which didn't happened in this tutorial, it has been replaced.

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1" just prevents Yosemite from not loading a modified .kext.

aaah ok, thanks, sorry but I'm totally ignorant about terminal commands, I just read on another tutorial that we need to disable the wifi, but was a tutorial regarding "how to change the boot screen"

dokterdok

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Ok I have repeated the steps on bluetooth, but I have seen that when I replace the lists of new MBA with the new list with MBA and Mac Mini, 0XED copy the text on the first line of the file, maybe the image could be explain better of my words :)

before replacement
http://imgur.com/sG3oTPh

after replacement
http://imgur.com/qAwGfqj

The replacement apparently happens at the wrong offset, which corrupts the Bluetooth binary.
In step 21, hit FIND, verify that text is indeed selected, and then only hit REPLACE. Make sure you do this with a fresh copy of the file.

Let me know if this fixes things.

venom466

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2014
Italy
The replacement apparently happens at the wrong offset, which corrupts the Bluetooth binary.
In step 21, hit FIND, verify that text is indeed selected, and then only hit REPLACE. Make sure you do this with a fresh copy of the file.

Let me know if this fixes things.

My problem is that 0XED do not find the text
'MacBookAir4,1''MacBookAir5,2''Macmini5,1''Macmini5,2''Macmini5,3'

on the original IOBluetoothFamily, if I try to replace directly the text it copy the command on top the file (as per my screenshot)

dokterdok

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
My problem is that 0XED do not find the text
'MacBookAir4,1''MacBookAir5,2''Macmini5,1''Macmini5,2''Macmini5,3'

on the original IOBluetoothFamily, if I try to replace directly the text it copy the command on top the file (as per my screenshot)

Yes I made a typo in the original tut that I fixed later
Here is the correct one

venom466

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2014
Italy
Yes I made a typo in the original tut that I fixed later
Here is the correct one

Is it the same :( maybe I'm doing something wrong... After rebooting the bluetooth is disabled.

The very strange thing is that the replacement happens on top the bluetooth family kext file, it seems that 0XED do not find the original text to be replaced....

dokterdok

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Is it the same :( maybe I'm doing something wrong... After rebooting the bluetooth is disabled.

The very strange thing is that the replacement happens on top the bluetooth family kext file, it seems that 0XED do not find the original text to be replaced....

If you search MacBookAir, do you find anything in that file ?

venom466

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2014
Italy
If you search MacBookAir, do you find anything in that file ?

YES with MacBookAir I have found - (In the original file) 'MacBookAir1,1''MacBookAir1,1''Macmini1,1''Macmini1,1''Macmini1,1'

then

bluetoothIdleTimerValue'MacBookAir4,1''MacBookAir4,2''Macmini5,1'

Maybe?!?! :)

venom466

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2014
Italy
YES with MacBookAir I have found - (In the original file) 'MacBookAir1,1''MacBookAir1,1''Macmini1,1''Macmini1,1''Macmini1,1'

then

bluetoothIdleTimerValue'MacBookAir4,1''MacBookAir4,2''Macmini5,1'

Maybe?!?! :)

I have replaced the MBA and Mamini after bluetoothIdleTimerValue, copied with Kextdrop, run terminal command but problem still the same

Password:
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/WavTap.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/ssuddrv.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ssudserial.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/ssuddrv.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ssudmtp.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/ssuddrv.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ssudmdmdata.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/ssuddrv.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ssudmdmcontrol.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/ssuddrv.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/RIMBBUSB.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AirPortBrcm4360.kext
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/BlackBerryVirtualPrivateNetwork.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext doesn't support architecture x86_64; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Prelink failed for com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Can't use IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext - not linked.
Prelink failed for com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.IOBluetoothHIDDriver; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothHIDMouse; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothHIDKeyboard; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch; omitting from prelinked kernel.

and

dokterdok

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
I have replaced the MBA and Mamini after bluetoothIdleTimerValue, copied with Kextdrop, run terminal command but problem still the same

The file you edited is not the original because it still contains the hack at the beginning. As I'm not sure you have a backup of the original file, here's what you can do:

1. Download my IOBluetoothFamily binary from here
2. Unzip it and open IOBluetoothFamily with 0xED
3. Click on the EDIT menu, then SELECT ALL
4. Click on the EDIT menu, then COPY
5. Close 0xED
6. Open ~/Desktop/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOBluetoothFamilyIOBluetoothFamily with 0xED
7. Click on the EDIT menu, then SELECT ALL
8. Click on the EDIT menu, then PASTE
9. Pick up the tutorial from step 20

I guess it's time somone puts together a script to apply those hacks more easily. Thanks for beta-testing my tutorial :), let me know if you have more luck this time. If run into more issues, please PM me so we don't clog the thread.

Last edited:

venom466

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2014
Italy
The file you edited is not the original because it still contains the hack at the beginning. As I'm not sure you have a backup of the original file, here's what you can do:

1. Download my IOBluetoothFamily binary from here
2. Unzip it and open IOBluetoothFamily with 0xED
3. Click on the EDIT menu, then SELECT ALL
4. Click on the EDIT menu, then COPY
5. Close 0xED
6. Open ~/Desktop/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOBluetoothFamilyIOBluetoothFamily with 0xED
7. Click on the EDIT menu, then SELECT ALL
8. Click on the EDIT menu, then PASTE
9. Pick up the tutorial from step 20

I guess it's time somone puts together a script to apply those hacks more easily. Thanks for beta-testing my tutorial :), let me know if you have more luck this time. If run into more issues, please PM me so we don't clog the thread.
You have just repeated your initial tutorial and it work's

http://imgur.com/9PpIWyj

You are a true legend!!!
Many thanks for your support and for your patience ;)

dokterdok

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
You have just repeated your initial tutorial and it work's

http://imgur.com/9PpIWyj

You are a true legend!!!
Many thanks for your support and for your patience ;)
Glad to hear it's working for you! To the others interested in getting their 2011 MBAs and Mac Minis work: Please refer to my initial tutorial which I've slightly updated based on today's feedback. I'll keep updating it if necessary and find the time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.