2011 MacBook Pros can support Handoff/Continuity

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by abcdefg12345, Jun 21, 2014.

1. donkey_mike, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018

donkey_mike macrumors newbie

Finally got this to work for ME this week. I have an early 2011 13" MBP (A1278) running on the latest updates of OSX High Sierra. I used the the Continuity activation tool because I couldn't delete the IO80211Family kext extension. I copied and modified the IO80211 file on my desktop, deleted the extension from the library and ran Kext Drop, I reset my Mac and it worked flawlessly with my iPhone 7 plus and iPad Air 2.

Update (15 Dec 2017) - MacOS 10.13.2 update disables Handoff, but I was able get Handoff/continuity working again by repeating the steps. So far this guide still works on the latest updates to MacOS.

Update (09 Jan 2018) - MacOS 10.13.2 Supplemental Update - I just installed this latest security update and good news the update did not disable continuity on my machine.

2. PavelKr macrumors newbie

I have an early 2011 13" MBP (A1278) running on the latest updates of OSX High Sierra.
    Download latest beta of Continuity Activation Tool
    When the trigger was started activation tool, a message ran outafter, then must be disabled SIP.
    Reboot the Mac and hold down Command + R keys simultaneously after you hear the startup chime, this will boot OS X into Recovery Mode. OS X Utilities -> terminal and following command into the terminal - csrutil disable
    After I disabled SIP running activation tool correctly. Everything works as it does with tablet and iPhone.