2011 Macbook pro's ? heres what I hope !

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dazant, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Dazant, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

Dazant macrumors member

So this is my take on the new macbook pros that should be released soon .
    (I will only talk about the high end 15-17 because those are the ones I'm interested in.)

So here are the specs I hope will make there way in the new Mbp:

-Processors (Sandy Bridge of course) TDP 45w:

Lower 15 inch : 2630QM (Quad 2.0 GHz)
    High end 15-17 inch : 2720QM (Quad 2.2 Ghz)
    200$ BTO (again 15-17) : 2820QM (Quad 2.3 Ghz)
    **The really nice 2920XM (Quad 2.5 Ghz) is excluded of course since the TDP of this beast is 55w.:(

- Graphics

If apple decides to go with ATI it should be a Radeon HD 6830M (TDP25W)the current 330m as a TDP of 23W so it would be possible if apple decided to finally step up their game in the graphics department .

If apple decides to go with Nvidia I would like to see at least an NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M wich is inferior than the 6830m in terms of performance and has a TDP of 35W ...

-Memory

I would like at least 7200RPM drives to be Standard.
    6GB or 8GB of RAM should be the new standard .
    Faster and cheaper SSD options (BTO).

-Other

I would like a Blu-Ray drive (but we all know its not gonna happen):(
    USB 3 and/or lightspeak are essentials in a 2011 almost 3k machine
    Bring back expresscard in the 15' model (again not gonna happen but we can dream right...)

I would love if you guys would respond and give me your opinion on what the next Mbp's should be .

PS : Sorry for my bad english its not my main language :rolleyes:

2. skiltrip macrumors 68030

If this happened I'd be allll I've that mid-level 15". But I'm not getting my hopes up for seeing a quad. If it happens, awesome, I just don't wanna be let down.

I definitely need some more horsepower than my 13" C2D, so I'm weighing between trading up to a 15" i7, or keeping the 13" and just keep saving for a quad iMac. Also really hoping to see a quad 21.5" iMac this year.

3. Dazant thread starter macrumors member

21.5 quad iMac should happen with sandy bridge (they have a 2.8 quad with a TDP of 65W I think ) .

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

That'd be hot. If there isn't a quad MBP coming up (or a dual that just happens to hold it's own against Core2Quad speeds) than an iMac is looking pretty good.

5. nutmac macrumors 68040

Considering Intel is scaling down Light Peak to use copper wiring (at a speed not much faster than USB 3.0) and even that isn't even close to being finalized, I strongly doubt it. As for USB 3.0, I hope so, but it is missing in Sandy Bridge chipset, so Apple will have to go out of its way to add it.

6. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Apple should be able to make this MBP pretty easily:

- 2.2 GHz quad CPU
    - HD 6830M GPU
    - 8 GB DDR3 RAM
    - 256 GB blade SSD (preferably 2 x 128 GB for RAID and expandability)
    - 1 TB HDD

If Apple did this, it would be extremely fast, and might win back the title of the fastest notebook available (like the 2007 MBP). I will be disappointed if Apple don't make this available as at least an option.

I expect to be disappointed.

7. Dazant thread starter macrumors member

Given the price I don't think apple is gonna be able to offer a 256 SSD standard its going to be a BTO for sure . :rolleyes:

8. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Probably. But if Apple are going to go with SSD storage (and I'm sure they will) I would be hoping for 128 GB on the base models and 256 GB on the higher end models.

Although I guess 64 and 128 GB with 256 BTO is more likely.

Mostly on the storage front, I'm just hoping for 2 blade slots and an internal HDD. The chipset (4GB/s from memory) easily has enough bandwidth to cope with RAID SSD's. And having 2 slots also helps maximise storage while minimising cost. I mean it would be fantastic to be able to upgrade to two 256 or 512 GB Sandforce controller SSDs in the near future.

9. MBX macrumors 65816

I hope for Sandy Bridge ASAP, better graphics card and the possibility for 16GB of Ram! Come on it's 2011, Laptops can have 16gb of ram or give us at least 12gb.

10. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Most people don't need that, so Apple won't even go there.

11. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

You mean like Sony has done already?

You mean like HP has done already.

You mean as Dell has done already.

You mean as Asus did months ago on laptops costing as little as $800?

You mean as Samsung has done on its sexy ultraportable 9 Series ZX310 that makes the Air look laughable in comparison?
    --

12. Dazant thread starter macrumors member

Well you might be right ``Most poeple don't need that`` but Macbook pro is supposed to be a PRO machine and 12GB of ram would be awsome for those of us who need it . (also a 1300$ dell xps as 12GB STANDARD ... so its weird that apple dosent give more at least 6GB standard...)

13. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

I can't even right that other computer name here, why do you even say it, we say only Apple , mbo or Just PC.