2011 MacbookPro Bootcamp + Vista Driver Issues!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexmbp, Mar 21, 2011.

1. alexmbp macrumors newbie

So here's the issue: Can't get drivers going on Vista Ultimate (with the end goal of running Battlefield: Bad Company 2)
    on my 2011 MBP

[Short version: I don't care about keyboard functions / trackpad functions / iSight etc. I just want my graphics card up and running in bootcamped vista without having to buy Windows7!]

- Just got the new 2011 15" MacbookPro (base model) and ran bootcamp (3.1 i believe?).

- Installed windows Vista Ultimate (obviously would rather XP or windows 7 but they aren't available to me at the moment, so thats not an option.)

- The Drivers that come on the OS X mac disc, as well as the ones that bootcamp can download for you (tried both) are only compatible with windows7, or at least, the setup will only run in windows7. Trying to run the setup gives me the error message that "bootcamp requires that your computer be running windows7"

- After trying to get around this for a while, and failing, i resorted to installing what drivers i could manually, which was maybe about half the ones provided in the driver package. How many of these are actually compatible with Vista 32bit i'm not sure.

- I saw previous threads (very old) where people were getting around the setup issue by altering the .exe with a /V /a command, but that only works for windows xp drivers. Perhaps there is a new version?

- The ultimate goal is to get BF:BC2 running, and to do this i assume im going to need certain graphics drivers. I've tried downloading the amd graphics drivers for vista but it didn't seem to change anything.

- basically what im asking for is a smooth method of downloading and setting up current vista ultimate drivers for my 2011 MacbookPro. pleas help!

Thanks in advance to everyone:):):)

2. xdbuix macrumors 6502

yeah I tried to do the exact same thing. I have a legit copy of vista and all that. However apparently, Vista and backwards won't be supported by bootcamp anymore at least from what I read. Everything will be more smoother if you upgrade to 7 unfortunately. I had to go get windows 7.

I did manage to get Vista to work, but I had alot of driver problems even though I used the OSX disc that came with my new mbp. Also the computer was unable to connect to the network. But anyways good luck!

3. sdneidich macrumors member

Why would you EVER want to run Vista? Get a copy of 7.

4. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

5. Pablo121 macrumors newbie

Driver that works

Hi alexmbp,

I've just got a new 15" Macbook pro and needed Win XP on it and I found this driver worked OK for that:

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/pages/radeon_xp-32.aspx#2

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_vista-32.aspx#2

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_vista-64.aspx

Did not know which version of Vista you had.

Screen res is limited but much better than it was:

Might be too late for you but hopefully it will help someone else.

Now to try and find some drivers for the other bits that are missing.

I need Win XP for Work Apple - why have have they done this. Guess I'll have to VM it in the end but it's a pain and not the best when you need XP as the service programs I need only work with that OS.

Pablo

6. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Because some folks already own it, and if you rarely use your Windows partition like I do, who wants to keep buying MS software and it is not cheap either. I mean they just released 7 and they are already working on 8, also they are not being fair to their customers by ending support on Vista next April of 2012. I am so tired of MS and I will never buy any of their software again, especially for Windows, I will never leave my Mac OS, it works so much more efficiently.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Vista is no longer supported by apple as of the 2011 MBP's. You need to run windows 7 to get full driver support.