2011 MacbookPro + bootcamp + vista ultimate + driver issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexmbp, Mar 21, 2011.

1. alexmbp, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

alexmbp macrumors newbie

So here's the issue: Can't get drivers going on Vista Ultimate (with the end goal of running Battlefield: Bad Company 2)
    on my 2011 MBP

[Short version: I don't care about keyboard functions / trackpad functions / iSight etc. I just want my graphics card up and running in bootcamped vista without having to buy Windows7!]

- Just got the new 2011 15" MacbookPro (base model) and ran bootcamp (3.1 i believe?).

- Installed windows Vista Ultimate (obviously would rather XP or windows 7 but they aren't available to me at the moment, so thats not an option.)

- The Drivers that come on the OS X mac disc, as well as the ones that bootcamp can download for you (tried both) are only compatible with windows7, or at least, the setup will only run in windows7. Trying to run the setup gives me the error message that "bootcamp requires that your computer be running windows7"

- After trying to get around this for a while, and failing, i resorted to installing what drivers i could manually, which was maybe about half the ones provided in the driver package. How many of these are actually compatible with Vista 32bit i'm not sure.

- I saw previous threads (very old) where people were getting around the setup issue by altering the .exe with a /V /a command, but that only works for windows xp drivers. Perhaps there is a new version?

- The ultimate goal is to get BF:BC2 running, and to do this i assume im going to need certain graphics drivers. I've tried downloading the amd graphics drivers for vista but it didn't seem to change anything.

- basically what im asking for is a smooth method of downloading and setting up current vista ultimate drivers for my 2011 MacbookPro. pleas help!

Thanks in advance to everyone :)

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

3. alexmbp thread starter macrumors newbie

Does that mean there is absolutley no way of getting vista working? surely there are old drivers available somewhere? or am i dreaming..

also, assuming i go out and buy windows 7 :)mad:) do you guys think that bfbc2 will run okay?

4. CheesyTators macrumors member

Same issue I am having and I have not found a way around it. Luckily I do have enough drivers to make Vista functional, but the keyboard controls do not work for me like brightness/volume controls. And without being able to install the Bootcamp Control Panel, I have no way of telling which OS to boot so I have to hold option key at every boot.

Looks like I will make do with what I have until I can purchase a copy of Windows 7.

I would think BFBC2 would run decent but I'm thinking you couldn't max it out all the way.

5. alexmbp thread starter macrumors newbie

The only thing is that i don't care if my trackpad / keyboard controls / isight functions work properly, i just need graphics drivers! surely i don't have to purchase windows7 just to get my graphics working on bootcamped vista!? right?