2011 MBA. Needs a new battery. Replace or save the money for a new laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by audirs5, Jun 7, 2015.

1. audirs5 macrumors 6502

$129 to get a new battery. Now, I don't know exactly when I will be purchasing a new laptop, but I have my sights set on purchasing a 15 inch laptop. Unless Apple comes out with a RMBA in the coming year. I watch a ton of movies on my computer and would like the benefits of a retina screen.

Now heres the kicker, this air works perfect. Other than the battery. It barely lasts and the laptop runs VERY hot when doing mundane tasks. I honestly thought this laptop would last a lot longer but 3 years of abuse is still pretty impressive. Only thing needed a change is the battery. I don't mind. I do know that I can't upgrade the O.S to the latest one. When I did, the entire laptop ran slow. Had to downgrade.
    so what should i do.

2. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Sell the 2011 and put the money towards a base 13" rMBP ;)

3. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I want the 15 inch! I find myself mostly using it at home on a table. I want the extra real estate!!!

4. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Even better then. :D
    It sounds like you want a new computer so it's best you sell the Air as is and move on.

5. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know, but I just can't justify spending 2500 or so on a new laptop when this one does everything I need perfectly. I use it pretty much for web, torrents and .mp4 conversion... 129 and squeeze out more life or new laptop.. And I can probably only get 500 or so for this laptop if I'm lucky..

6. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

Get a refurb 15! Refurbs are as good if not better than new. Apple's refurbishment process is extremely stringent! This isn't dells refurb process. Apple's refurbs are 14-day returns most returned due to buyers remorse, or brand new machines that are a gen old just clearing stock. The machines are just like new if not better due to the fact that apple checks every single thing about the machine and replaces anything if necessary. They are basically brand new machines. They come in amazing cosmetic condition indistinguishable from new and have the same 14-day return window and 1 year warranty as brand new machines. You have absolutely nothing to lose. If the machine isn't satisfactory apple will accept the return no questions asked within the 14 day window. You could replace the battery as well and get some more life out of the machine it's up to you. Refurbs are apple's best kept secret. They can't market those returns as brand new. You get an amazing discount for the exact same thing, thoroughly checked over, amazing cosmetic condition, and sometimes you get upgraded specs if they run out of the refurb you ordered. I ordered my rMBP 15" with a 2.2GHz i7, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD and it came with a 2.6GHz i7, and a 512GB SSD. For the price of the lower tier model. Would've paid close to 900 dollars extra if I bought that model new. Came indistinguishable from new and haven't had a single issue in the year and a half i've had it.

7. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good to know. Do Apple employee discounts work on these as well? Got a friend willing to give me her 15% for the laptop. figured that 15% is enough to cover the AppleCare!

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The answer seems so obvious, it hardly needs a thread on MacRumors.

If your 2011 Air is fast enough, then a used, 2011/2012 15" MBP will be more than fast enough.

Again, it's pretty obvious if you think about it.

9. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Nope, discounts don't work on refurb items. However with that discount you're pretty much saving the same amount of money (refurbs are about 15% off), but you get the advantage of a brand-new Mac laptop. When purchasing through Apple education or employee discount, you also get free 3-year hardware warranty on that (which is essentially AppleCare, except it doesn't have telephone support with that).

So I think the most economically viable option would be to buy brand-new with that employee discount :) And you'll also get the peace of mind that comes with 3-year warranty!

10. motrek macrumors 68020

And the answer costs ~$150 instead of $2500.