2011 mba - some keys won't work!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by freerollin, Dec 21, 2015.

1. freerollin macrumors member

This has been on going for a few days

Eventually the keys will begin working again, but this is incredibly frustrating as you can imagine...

What do you guys suggest? Need to be sent off for repair?

2. flimpy macrumors member

I would try to blow them with compressed air (can be found at oil change places for cars), if this would not help - hand it over to Apple store to replace the keyboard, or try to replace it yourself.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I had this issue twice. One of the times apple repaired it, they made it worse. I wonder if the air has this problem sometimes? Seen it a few times here.

4. flimpy macrumors member

I have three Airs. Over the ~5 years of use I had to replace logic boards 3 times (on two of them), one screen is dying. Never had an issue with Air's keyboard.

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Interesting. I wonder if the heat of the internals prematurely killed the keyboard?

6. orourke macrumors newbie

I've had an issue where some liquid had stopped some of the keys from working and also causing the shift key to be permanently pressed which is really (REALLY) annoying when trying to enter your password when starting the computer.

This has actually happened twice. Once after a week or so the short went away - the small amount liquid probably totally evaporated and the issue was solved.

The second time I had to replace the keyboard (and touchpad). Bought the parts from Aliexpress for about 30USD and replaced the parts following a guide online. It's a bit of a PIA as you have to basically disassemble the entire computer, but at least it's a cheap fix.

7. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I could see how that would be annoying. My password contains one of the letters that don't work so I felt your pain. I am happy you did that! I would never have had the courage to take that on...