2011 MBA stopped hibernating after Mavericks Upgrade?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Internaut, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Internaut, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

Internaut macrumors 6502a

Hello,

Small issue I've spotted post Mavericks. My MacBook Air correctly goes to sleep when close the lid, but it appears never to go into the deeper hibernation mode. So, on closing the lid for the night, before the upgrade, I'd expect to a drain of three to five percent. Since the upgrade, I close the lid in the evening, and the following evening I've lost 10-20%.

I'm guessing this is because the MacBook never goes from sleeping to the deeper hibernation. Further evidence for this: after 24 hours, my MacBook comes on and I'm able to enter the password immediately (usually takes a few seconds).

Has anyone else seen this, or better still seen it and resolved it?

Edit: Output from pmset -g:

Password:
    Active Profiles:
    Battery Power -1*
    AC Power -1
    Currently in use:
    standbydelay 4200
    standby 1
    halfdim 1
    hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
    darkwakes 0
    disksleep 10
    sleep 60
    hibernatemode 3
    ttyskeepawake 1
    displaysleep 2
    acwake 0
    lidwake 1

Thanks,
    J

2. spokrandt macrumors newbie

Yep... I opened a ticket with apple yesterday.

3. Internaut, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

Internaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks.

Edit: Oh, and I'm testing with no applications running overnight, tonight. It's unlikely it will make a difference, but if it is a rogue app, then well worth isolating.

4. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

my macbook air woke me up when it rebooted on its own in the middle of the night whilst closed and asleep (don't know if on stanby or hibernation i don't pay all this money to apple to concern myself with these technical terms). i just close the lid and forget about it.

in any case when i woke in the morning i opened the computer to find some error message that had forced the reboot.

5. Internaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Time for a visit to the nerd herd (or whatever they're called) at the local Apple store? Comfortable though I am with the terminal, I do agree the shiny thing that's sold to just work should do exactly that.

6. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

It has only happened once since the update to mavericks, so i dont plan to visit apple just yet.

Still, it was quite the experience to wake up to the obnoxious "PUM!" sound of the computer's startup process. Had it not been for the apple logo that lit up i was worried my dog had tripped and droped something on the floor.

7. Isamilis macrumors 6502

Just want to know. Do you already have workaround for this? I have this on my 2012 MBA. The machine went sleep, but few minutes after the lid closed. I don't know, is this consistent behaviour.

Thanks,

8. Internaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, what do ya know.....

One of the updates must have fixed it. I've been testing over the last couple of days. Overnight, last night, it used just three percent of the batter. Also, the startup speed from deep hibernation is much improved over Mountain Lion. I've just opened the lid and had to wait no more than six seconds before I was able to enter my password.