2011 MBA vs 2013 rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aspacelot, Jul 11, 2013.

1. aspacelot macrumors newbie

Hi, I've been stalking the forums for years but I guess this is my first thread, so, Hello!

Preface: I did forum search MBA vs MBP, but couldn't find anything matching my specific scenario.

Story: I've got a 2011 MBA which I'm still very much in love with. I have behemoth PC/Gaming laptop that is "portable" but not really, and I bought the MBA because I absolutely love the fact that I can take it everywhere without it weighing me down and it's stupendous battery life. A friend of mine was showing off his 13" rMBP and I was very impressed with the display. It reminded me of what it was like when I jumped from an iPad 2 to iPad 4... just astounding.

Biscuit: I'd like to know if there are any MBA to rMBP converts, and how it's working out? Is it worth it? I can still get a good chunk of change via eBay and other sources for my 2011 MBA to go toward a rMBP. Do you think it's worth it?
    How I use it: Web, email, CS6 (mostly Photoshop, some After Effects and Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Indesign), XBMC, VMWare Fusion (never Bootcamp) to an XP machine for Windows specific functions (joining a domain, secureCRT, NOT gaming, etc.), at night I hook it up to a Dell U2713HM @ 2560x1440 w/ trackpad/keyboard (the fan on my MBA really gets going while watching video or backing up to my time capsule when connected to my display). I don't really game on it at all.

My MBA specs: i5, 4gigs RAM, 256gig storage (storage is not a consideration as I have a NAS set up at home to keep my media and have only used 123gigs so far on my MBA).

So... is the rMBP as portable/have as good battery life/worth the performance boost?

2. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I too am considering the leap, and I have the same computer except the 128GB version.

Inquiring minds want to know :cool:

3. aspacelot thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

I have base Air 2011 and I can't wait for rMBP 13" with 256 SSD..

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It sounds like it might be best for you to wait for the new ones to come out since it doesn't seem like you need a new computer urgently.

The updated 13" rMBP should have better integrated graphics and better battery life. There are also rumors that it might be a bit thinner because of the lower power and heat of the new processors.

6. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Seems to me all preference. Im not sure how well the early 2013 rMBP compare to the 2011 MBA, but asumming haswell updates come in the Mid/Late 2013 rMBP models, the battery life would definitely be an improvement from the 2011 MBA.

But if you are looking at the base model of the rMBP 13" I dont think it will be much of an improvement. There will be speed and graphics boosts compared to your MBA, but maybe not enough to justify a jump. Again, all preference. The screen enough would convince me, but it may not be enough for other people.

So I would say do nothing until they release the new rMBPs later this year. You can either pick up the latest model, or get the older model at a cheaper price.