2011 MBA WiFi issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bwphoto, Aug 2, 2011.

1. bwphoto macrumors member

2011 MBA keeps dropping its WiFi connection to a Netgear router (supports 802.11 b/g/n). Anyone else having this problem? Solutions? I saw the 2010s had this issue and it seems like it was unresolved...

2. marrzie macrumors regular

Contact netgear support. Does it drop signal on all your other computers as well?

3. BostonBrawler macrumors member

There seems to be an underlying wifi issue with Lion. Compounded on the new airs. Ive had lion WIFI issues across the board on my computers, but moreso with the air than any other.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Occasionally, when waking from sleep mine "forgets" that my Wi-Fi network is preferred and I need to reconnect to it. I'm chalking this up to a Lion bug for now.

5. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Do you have any other devices that support wireless-N?

I have been through 2 wireless routers that "support" wireless-N but both only worked with N disabled. Now I have an Airport extreme and it works fine on all my wireless-n devices.

If not you could try disabling N on the router, you will get slower speeds and shorter range, but it may let you stay connected.

6. askrib macrumors member

ya man! Im getting drops all the time! so annoying. I have a d-link DIR-655. But its odd because my internet won't work or email but I can still make Skype calls. Then once I unplug my router and replug internet and mail works again.

I don't know whats up.

7. GrendelsBane macrumors newbie

Funny you should mention that! I also have a Netgear router and only last night my new Air refused to connect. It kept asking for my wi-fi password and reported it was incorrect (it wasn't!). It kept me busy and very annoyed for hours. In the meantime, my iPhone, my iPad and my windows 7 PC were carrying on as normal. Suddenly, it 'fixed' itself and it's still behaving normally this morning as I type this...
    As a brand new Mac user, this left a bad taste in my mouth

8. RobQuads macrumors regular

or maybe Apple?

Would not supprise me if it was a hardware issue as there is a Wifi issue with iPad. Ours would drop connections on 5 different routers (all of which work fine with 3 other computers, a iPhone 3G and 4). only router it worked with suprise suprise was Airport Extreme. There are quite a few others with the same problems with iPads from what I found so an Wifi issue with the air would not supprise me

9. bwphoto thread starter macrumors member

Ah I should've added that my '07 MBP connects and stays connected. The '11 MBA will connect if I manually select the network but then it will throw up a timeout error. Despite the timeout error I have a connection. But within a minute, it will have dropped out again.

Both my MBP and MBA maintain reliable connections at my office where we have a Cisco wireless router.

10. Typswif2fingers, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

When I first downloaded Lion at the start of July the network would from time to time for a short period drop out.. I am talking of matter of seconds. But I have not had any more dropouts last couple of weeks..

I have also noticed that my MBA Wi-Fi is continuously looking for networks... Have not noticed that before.

11. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I have the same router, a 2011 MBA and MBP, iPhone 4 and 3gs, Apple TV and numerous other wifi devices and they all work fine. The d-link 655 is a great router but you might want to look into a firmware update if you haven't ever done that on your router. Before I got the MBA I had to do that to resolve an issue with my NAS unit. Besides the NAS problem, its worked fine for the last couple of years for me.

12. mbezzo macrumors member

Adding my 2 cents. Yep, having the same thing. Using Airport extreme and getting no network randomly - airport is still connected, but no internet. I've swapped my macbook air for a different reason, tested it, and have reinstalled from scratch and have seen it in all 3 cases, so definitely a lion/mba issue. Hoping it gets resolved!

13. askrib macrumors member

Thanks man. But my firmware is up to date and the router is only 2 months old. Its worked fine before. But sometimes randomly my internet, mail won't connect. But Skype will still be able to make a phone call. Odd right? I don't understand. Then I un plug the router and wants it boots back up it works.

14. h00ligan macrumors 68030

This happened on my 2007 mac after the upgrade.. waking from sleep it never connected and it was dropping here and there. I would imagine we will see a point release soon which will correct quite a few issues. I just hope they don't try to iron out too much and take too long on the obvious stuff.

15. Tokay macrumors newbie

I have the same router and am experiencing WiFi dropouts on my 2011 MBA. Got a couple of iPhones + iPads, and a Windows computer, none of these have issues.

I'm planning on replacing the D-Link with the new Airport Extreme Base Station, simply to have dual 2.4 & 5Ghz bands for improved speed etc. Having hopes about this resolving stuff, but it's weird that it's only the MBA having problems.. so it's either Lion or the MBA itself.

16. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I doubt its Lion, my MBP works perfectly on wifi. But then, so does the 2011 Air.

17. FieldingMellish Suspended

My drops stopped earlier this year when I ditched my Netgear router for Apple's product.

18. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

Does anyone know what to do about the constant "Looking for Wi-Fi networks"?

Not sure if that is even bad?

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

19. shealias macrumors newbie

Each time I wake mine up from 'sleep' or open it, it takes about 30 seconds (a lifetime, I know) to reconnect to a wifi network. This happens with all wifi networks, so perhaps it's not necessarily a netgear issue.

20. keewawa macrumors newbie

Apparently have the same problem here, but not with Netgear router. It gets disconnected unpredictably,
    Well, not really disconnected, signal is still there but can not access internet even the gateway. Have to turn off then turn on the WiFi to reconnect. Such a pain on the new machine!:mad:

21. MickeyDK macrumors newbie

Yes! Have MBA 11" and getting quite annoyed with it (the wifi issue, not the MBA itself). Unfortunately, it happens on my 15" MBP as well, though with a Linksys/Cisco WAG320N router.
    Also, when opening the MBA, the "instant on" isn't that instant...8-10-12 seconds - for that, my MBP C2D mid-2009 is way faster :(

Solutions?
    Well, let's hope that MR is able to dig more into whats happening with the 10.7.1 release, since 10.7.2 have been sent out to dev's already? Other than that - haven't found any that actually work...

22. lim3sparks macrumors newbie

Having the same issue with my MBA, netgear router. Suddenly Safari will quit loading pages (without telling me connection is lost), and the WiFi dialog box says I'm still connected. Have to turn WiFi off and on again to get it working.

And I second the constant "Looking for WiFi networks"... what's that about?

23. askrib macrumors member

just called up D-Link and they had me change my network settings. I changed from "Channel 4" to Channel 11.

She said that other things in my house could be running on that frequency and that this is what could be causing the problem. Haven't had a problem yet, but its only been 10 min. I will keep you updated if this fixed it.

Hopefully that was the problem.

24. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Yep, one more to Lion's widening list.

25. sparkhill macrumors regular

I am seeing the same issues with my Time Capsule and Airport Extreme using A mid-2011 Air and a mid-2010 Air, both running Lion.