2011 mbp 13 Freezing, lagging, Not WORKING!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by C1raider, Jul 13, 2011.

1. C1raider macrumors member

Bullet form of issues
    • Freezes and lags at log in. Sometimes it will take 5+ seconds for my typing to appear
    • Lags when typing in safari. I'll get the beach ball for simply typing, like writting this message. It also does this with any word processing program. It doesn't do it EVERY time but it is not rare.
    • When watching a movie it will lag out; the movie will keep playing but I cant pause, minimize, or exit. I'll have to manual reboot. This will also happen when playing simple games. I do use the Thunderbolt port to extend to an additional monitor, but this is not the only time the issue occurs
    • Sometimes it will just lag opening programs or playing songs on Itunes. And I mean LAG I don't mean the seek time for the hard drive

Side info, I have 4gigs, not upgraded, of ram that I monitor and I've never seen it use 95%. I do have programs running in the back ground, but, as said, I'm constantly monitoring the activity monitor. I am very frustrated with this computers performance and considering my options. Seems like multitasking stretches the limits of its capabilities.

Questions:
    If I take it to Apple are they going to be able to help me? I've been a tech before and I know how much guess work goes into an issue like mine and I REALLY dont wont all my programs and files dug through and scrutinized. I dont trust Apple when it comes to my privacy.

Please help me, I really want to like my Mac but an HP Envy is really starting to tempt me.:eek:

2. sjshaw macrumors regular

There is something wrong. Multitasking the programs you mentioned does not even come close to stretching the limits of a 2011 MBP with 4 GB RAM.

Yes, Apple will help you if you take it in, although the quality of the help depends on a lot of factors. I would first run the Apple Hardware Test (extended RAM tests) from your Install DVD to see if that catches anything. Then I would rebuild the permissions using Disk Utility. Lastly, you can always try a clean reinstall of the OS, but if you have AppleCare, just take it in.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

• -Yes they will be able to help you.
      -No they won't scrutinize your files, you're not an interesting or important enough person that they have time to waste on your personal data(not trying to be an ass, just telling it how it is). If you are this paranoid, I suggest you back everything up and wipe and install a fresh OS X on the machine for them to diagnose. In fact, why don't you try a backup and a fresh install and see if that doesn't fix your computer?

My personal guess: your hard drive may be failing, sounds like the kind of symptoms you'd see from one.

Edit: as the poster above me said, try repairing disk permissions and running the apple hardware test first. Both these things should take roughly 2 hours to complete.

4. C1raider thread starter macrumors member

Alright, I did the quick, 3 min, hardware check, everything came back fine. Then I repaired Disk Permissions and I Verified the Disk, so the HDD got a clean bill of health. I haven't noticed a difference in performance, still an issue.

Should I do the hour long system check?

Im still under warranty but dont have apple care, should I still take it in. The standard 1 year warranty will still cover these issues right?

Any other suggestions? I'm trying to avoid a clean reinstall simply because I dont have an easy way back up ALL my info.

5. C1raider, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

C1raider thread starter macrumors member

Did the extended hardware check with no issues.

Suggestions? I need some help guys, please; OSX is not my playground!

6. Squicken macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Bring it to apple

7. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Do a reinstall of snow leopard put the disc in format the hard drive and see if your problem persists, make sure you've backed up your files and have a go at this, if you want to test your hard drive before or after the reinstall download and run what system tools if your read/ write speeds are below 30MB/s on a 2011 Know you've got a problem, if youve reinstalled take it to apple, if you haven't try a reinstall. If all fails take it to Apple. Best thing is if a reinstall fixes it, it didn't take as long as taking it to Apple.

8. ayres macrumors regular

hey there, i'd like to chime in on your issue. i also have a 2011 13inch mbp. my issues were not too extensive, but i was experiencing freezing upon opening up the computer (left on). these freezes, during which not even the mouse cursor moved, became progressively worse until, in late may, i took my mbp in to the neighborhood apple store. and i left it there.

the tech acknowledged that apple is having issues with this freezing in the new mbp, but there have not yet been any clearly identified causes.

moreover, they were unable to diagnose and duplicate the freezing i had been experiencing on my mbp. real bummer.

anyway, what i have discovered is that the freezing is worse the longer i go without shutting down the computer. i have the tendency to leave it on for weeks-at-a-time. but when it is shut down on occasion, i don't experience the freezing.

anyway, these are my observations. my advice is to begin documenting when and what is happening to your mbp. nothing too detailed, buy you may begin noticing a patter. apple may not be able to help you. my hope is that since apple is internally acknowledging a freezing issue with this new model, they will work towards a fix update in the coming months.

cheers,

9. rubenbb macrumors newbie

Here other with the same problem in a 15" i7 4GB 500GB MBP 2011... is HORRIBLE the performance in SL or Lion, al the time freezing, go slow.... arggg!

PS: I have Applecare

10. Philflow macrumors 65816

Is it a Seagate 7200.4 500GB HDD? I've heard of stuttering issues.

11. C1raider thread starter macrumors member

My hdd is a 320 Hitachia 7200

I'm still having issues, Guess I'll take it to apple.

12. rubenbb macrumors newbie

I did two things since I have posted in this thread

- Boot laptop with Mac OS X Install DVD and executed the 'Apple hardware test' complete without fails neither errors...
    - Desactivate the 'iStat menu'

Now... all is 'perfect'...

I don´t understand nothing...

13. C1raider thread starter macrumors member

Desactivate the 'iStat menu'

Uhhh?:confused:

I looked for said menu without resolve

14. C1raider thread starter macrumors member

So the "Genius" said, being I only have 12gb free the system is prone to failing. He said to have AT LEAST 10% of unused space on your hdd. He literally said that my computer freezing, requiring a manual reboot, is normal behavior with that little of free space. Something to do with the osx caching files on the hdd, as if the hdd didnt have a cache of its own.

I understand not having a lot of free space can slow your computers seek times and opening programs time, ect. Especially if you only have like 100mb free, but not having 40gb free means your computer runs like it has 15 bad viruses sounds absurd, maybe some members can chime in on this. And why is this a percentage measurement, If I had a 2tb hdd I need 200gb so my little OSX doest throw a fit!?!? :mad:

He of course gave me the lecture of third party programs might be an issue. He also suggested creating a new account to see if the issue is with my account.

In summary, reinstall and if that doesn't fix it, tough SH**

Oh and I've already cleared 60gb of space so I'm at 70 free with no resolve

15. C1raider thread starter macrumors member

anybody have a reaction to this? Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

16. rubenbb macrumors newbie

Not seem a 'cientific answer'....

Have you tried with a new account like 'Genius' said?

17. ayres macrumors regular

i'm going to say that a storage related problem is not what has been plaguing others here with the new 13-inch mbp. there are too many others that seemed to have immediately encountered the freezing upon their purchases.

for the record, whenever i go a long time without shutting down my mbp, the freezing will begin upon opening. and then all is fine after the initial freeze.

but restarting the mbp does the trick for me.