2011 MBP 13" i5 2.4 Support Trim?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wicked1, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

2. lamboman macrumors 6502

TRIM Enabler is what you are looking for.

However, Sandforce drives like the one you have listed have some of the best garbage collection in the industry. It isn't really necessary to have TRIM enabled, it was merely to fix the issues that early drives had with their poor garbage collection. That isn't to say TRIM is useless now, however.

As for the drive that you have selected, Sandforce drives are known for being unreliable, with crashing issues being experienced by many users. I'd consider looking at the always-recommended Crucial m4. All SSDs are so fast nowadays that the slower speeds won't really make that much of a difference (and also, read performance on the m4 in some situations is better).

Garbage collection on these drives isn't quite as good as on the Sandforce drives, however, again you probably won't need TRIM unless you are doing a hell of a lot of writes and deletes.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The vast majority of issues with SandForce drives were resolved toward the end of last year. I have been using a SandForce drive in my MacBook Pro for over a week now. I had some issues installing OS X, but post-install it has worked flawlessly. I do not have TRIM enabled nor do I plan on doing so; it's unnecessary with SandForce's excellent garbage collection.

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

The TRIM enabler will also be uninstalled when you update, so if you use it, you will need to reinstall it after an update (I knew about this but forgot, and just the other day noticed that my system is no longer reporting it after the update to 10.7.3, and honestly I haven't noticed any difference, if anything my system seems slightly faster, but that could be something in the update as well). I am just leaving it off for now.

5. lamboman macrumors 6502

Most of the issues have been acknowledged but not fixed for all; I agree that the situation has improved, especially towards the end of last year as you have said, however, many people are still experiencing the same issues that they had before.

6. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I was going for the Intel 320 120GB and they worked really well, just that $129.99 for a 120GB SSD from Patriot, I could not pass up that pricing as my Intel back in the day was $214 from New Egg

I do not think there is one SSd that is best and stands out, the Intel's are reliable, but not as fast unless you go with the 520, then they are more $

Others are cheap but I am leary of having issues.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I think the Samsung 830 qualifies.