2011 MBP 13" (i5) Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jms9, Mar 5, 2011.

1. jms9 macrumors newbie

I've been reading various threads in this forum concerning problems with the 2011 MBP. Mine has three problems: 1) clicking noise when tilted; 2) incorrect DVD region (should have been region 1, but is set to region 6 (China)); and 3) problems waking from sleep.

I understand that problem 1 may be a consequence of the sudden motion sensor, but previous MBPs I've owned never made similar noises.

Problem 2 is more troubling to me. There's no reason the default region should have been China. Again, my previous MBPs did not have this problem.

Problem 3 is something that may be addressed by a firmware update; when I called Apple, the woman assisting me opined that Bluetooth settings may be to blame. However, we came to the conclusion that this was not the case, as the problem still occurs even when Bluetooth is switched off.

More than anything, I'm a little disappointed; my 2011 actually feels like a step backward in some respects from my old 2010. There is no Apple store nearby, so Apple advised me to work with the retailer from whom I purchased my MBP to solve the problem. Any suggestions?

2. un.titled macrumors regular

Work with the retailer from whom you purchased your MBP to solve the problem.

3. josh1231 macrumors regular

I would take it back. Get one you're going to be happy with.

4. jms9 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I'm doing, but the retailer has yet to respond. I'm mainly trying to determine how widespread these problems are and whether I would be better off reverting to the 2010 model.

5. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I had problem #3. Search the forum if you want to know more.

I got a replacement within 2 minutes of sitting down on friday.

6. sk3tch macrumors regular

If you're trying to see how widespread the problems are - perhaps you should search Google, this forum, and other forums like it for these symptoms instead of specifically creating one thread with an ambiguous title?

7. Evan_11 macrumors regular

My i5 MBP HD also clicks loudly when I shift the computer. As it has been previous stated, this is just the sound of the drive locking its heads from the motion sensor. Yes, it's a bit loud but I'm not worried about it.

I haven't noticed any other major flaws. It seems to run hotter when I'm plugged into AC than off of the battery. That and I don't care for the sharp edges (I swear the floor model had smoother edges). I haven't noticed the fans too much. Really, it's nothing compared to my Rev. A Macbook. That thing smolders and the fans kick into high gear as soon as a Flash site boots up.

8. un.titled macrumors regular

Where did you get it?

9. jms9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac Connection. I'll give them a few more days to respond to my email, as it appears that their customer service department is closed for the weekend. I could have done a better job in choosing a thread title - I should have limited it to the DVD region setting problem, as the other issues I raised have been addressed elsewhere.

10. Evan_11 macrumors regular

I purchased mine from Microcenter. Not to knock MacConnection (I've purchased a couple of Macs from them over the years) but there's something to be said buying from a brick'n'mortar. If I have a problem I know that I can go in and have it serviced pretty quickly.

11. jms9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree 100%; problem is, we have few choices here in Arkansas. I'm not a huge fan of Best Buy's customer service, so I have to look elsewhere. Rumors that an Apple store is coming to Little Rock crop up every few months, but I'm not sure whether the market is large enough to support one.

12. josh1231 macrumors regular

You could just call them Monday instead of waiting. You more than likely only have 14 days to return, therefore waiting might mean you have to go through the warranty process with Apple.

13. zinka macrumors regular

Move.

14. suckatcomputers macrumors regular

Call your nearest Apple Store and let them know. I know this is will make you feel worse, but next time, buy directly from Apple. My guess is that Best Buy is going to tell you your problems are normal and if you demonstrate your problems to them, they will look pretty trivial OR of course, it will be one of the few times your computer is NOT clicking, WILL WAKE from sleep, etc.

Even Apple is telling me these are "normal" and others are not having my problems, so I could only imagine what Best Buy will tell you (unless Best Buy in Arkansas are better than over here).

Whatever you do, get it exchanged. I'm highly considering exchanging my 2011 for a 2010.

15. Jonze macrumors member

Jonze

Personally I would take it back. You have just paid a lot of $ for that little baby. I know you can't take it to an Apple Store but the reseller should still be able to help

16. jms9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: I ended up obtaining a replacement from Mac Connection - the new one still makes a clicking noise occasionally, but I now believe that sound is normal.

I have another issue: When I use the Thunderbolt/Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter, I receive a sometimes painful shock when I touch the metal parts of my MacBook Pro. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

17. V4705 macrumors 6502

in my 2010 mbp13 i had the same hdd noise, i believe all of them does. its ok.
    about the awaking problem, in my 2011 mbp13 i had some problem 2-3 times, it put it to sleep and awake it again and it worked, its sucks, i didnt had that in the 2010.

but my mainnnn problem is the fan noise, OMG!!! the only times i heard my 2010 was while encoding, never in a daily uses.