Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mustagcoupe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2020
I have a 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro, about 6 months ago the keyboard and mouse stopped working correctly. The keyboard lost keys 1-8 completely, the rest of the keys work but sometimes have a delayed response. The track pad does absolutely nothing except the physical left click button will sometimes work if you push really hard. The battery is new and is not swollen, it worked with this battery for several months before the keyboard and mouse stopped working. I did not spill anything in it (though I don't know what it's previous life was like) and it was stored on a shelf with 3 other laptops that still work perfectly.

I have tried everything I could think of to get it working again short of removing the logic board to inspect the top side. I've tried resetting the SMC and PRAM multiple times. I tried disconnecting the keyboard and mouse individually and nothing changes. Disconnecting all the other cables (wifi, DVD, hard drive, KB backlight) and the battery has no effect on the mouse and keyboard. I've tried pushing on various chips and spots on the motherboard as well as flexing the case and that also has no effect. I've also tried booting from Mac, Windows and Linux install USBs with and without the internal hard drive connected in case there was a problem with the Mac os installs and that also made no difference.

The problem seems to be isolated to the mouse and keyboard, If I plug in an external mouse and keyboard it works completely normally, all the ports work, it sleeps like it's supposed to and has no instability. Does anyone have any other ideas what could cause this. At this point the only other thing I can think of is buying another working MacBook with a broken screen and swapping parts around until I find something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.