2011 MBP 13" SSD Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DD3, Mar 9, 2011.

1. DD3 macrumors newbie

Just got my new MBP with stock HD decided to take out my Vertex2 from the old MBP and installed into the new machine...with clean install

From that moment Im getting all kind of funky errors(wont let me login into my account, error in disk utilities "Invalid Node Structure",ect.) and reinstalled the OS at least 3 times in one week...

If you have any suggestions what might cause the problem or any advice on reliable SSD hard drive for MBP??

2. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Have you completely erased the old Vertex 2 before installing OS X?

3. DD3 thread starter macrumors newbie

yep and zero out the data...

Im really hopeless and i need my MBP for work and research :(

4. endless17 macrumors member

do you have the ability to update the Vertex 2 to the latest firmware to see if that solves your problem?

FWIW - i took a 90GB Vertex 2 from my hackintosh, reformatted the drive, and plopped it into my new 15" MBP without any issue.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

6. DD3 thread starter macrumors newbie

i just done the reset still the same error in disk utilities

7. seong macrumors 65816

seong

BEFORE you installed fresh OS X, did you format the partition and set is as GUID? If not, you should do that.
    Otherwise, I don't see why you are having this problem.

8. DD3 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes... i dont know what else it might be...

the SSD is still in warranty so I will order a new one and send this one back to the shop....

Any suggestions on other SSD hard drive then are know to work on the new MBP?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I just put the new Intel 510 SSD in my 2011 13" MBP and it works perfectly. Not the cheapest or necessarily the fastest SSD drive, but it is stable for me so far at least. You can read my post about it here.

10. DD3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice!

I was thinking about getting one of those but i wasn't sore especially with no TRIM support at the moment.

Can you notice a difference between 3Gb/s and 6Gb/s if you used one of those before?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I had a OWC SSD (SATAII 3Gb/s) in my 2008 MBP and honestly I see only a slight difference in drive related activity (system/app launch) with this system. Hard to say how much of that is from the newer SSD or from the 2008 vs. 2011 MBP.

Here is the XBench test I did with the new drive. You can use my benchmark to compare to MBPs with other brand drives.

I really think everybody gets a little too wound up about some of these synthetic benchmark tests we see. At the speeds of any of the newer SSD drives I really don't think anybody can tell the difference in normal system usage.

I went with the Intel since it seemed to have good reliability with Mac users. System stability and a good company for support were more important to me than eeking out slightly better SSD speed.

According the the Anandtech review of the Intel 510, the Marvel controller they used has garbage collection so degradation without TRIM should not be an issue.