2011 MBP 13 VS 2010 MBP 13 on BATTERY LIFE ONLY

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by C1raider, Feb 26, 2011.

1. C1raider macrumors member

I dont mean to create a separate post on a topic already covered everywhere else, however the information I found was sprinkled around and at times contradicting.

Which one has better battery life in real world application? I know, as well as most on this forum, about macs change in battery evaluation so no need to make it part of the discussion. Does anyone have experience or direct knowledge on how the two preform side by side?

My battery experience is as follows: 50% screen brightness, lit keys on most dim setting for half the battery life other half they were off, only used safari and text edit (no flash). I achieved a runtime of 6hrs 30mins

I just bought the new 13 mbp and am considering taking it back and finding a cheaper 2010. I am not using the machine for gaming only emails, web, and media so I dont think I would benefit from the i5 performance (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG HERE). I do multitask with multiple applications running, such as: skype, word, safari, itunes, bitorrent but nothing really intensive. Would I benefit from the extra power in the i5?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

2. melterx12, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

melterx12 macrumors 6502a

The battery life on both is about the same. If anything I'd say the 2011 may last a bit longer between charges (by about 30mins) because there is no GPU to power and sandy bridge is on a 32nm process.

On the 2010 MBP 13, the core 2 duo's TDP was 25W, while the 2011 core i5's TDP is 35W, which includes the Intel HD 3000. The 2010's Geforce 320M has a TDP of 20W. This means that the 2011 MBP should consume 10W less than the 2010.

The processor does make everything snappier and faster, especially when you compare it to the core 2 duo which is 2 generations behind. However there is nothing that the core 2 duo can't do that the new processors can (videos will run prefect on both machines).